Might have found a boat:)

My wife and I went to Ludington yesterday to look at a 2001 22' Sportcraft WA. The boat was immaculate and only had 126 hours on it. We were dealing with the owner of the storage company who listed it for the owner. It has an aluminum tandem axle trailer. Since it was new it has only been trailered from the storage building to the boat launch and then back to the storage unit in the fall. Even though it was slipped the boat was well taken care of and very clean inside and out. The owner only used it twice last year. It comes with an Eagle fishfinder and Garmin fishfinder/GPS combo. I'm not sure if anything else comes with it or not. We decided to make an offer and expect to hear back from the owner on Monday.

It's an I/O. The big 4.3, 210 hp. I had the broker ask the owner about top speed with the boat but I'm not to worried about it. One thing that is nice about the boat is that everything for the engine is accessible. Oil filter is on top and the doghouse opens up with the engine exposed. My old boat only 1/3 of the engine was visible with the doghouse open. Made working on it a real pain. The engine and engine compartment were spotless. It was maintained professionally every year. The guy who showed me the boat did the service work. Also the seating setup is really nice for fishing and cruising. The 2 jump seats in the back fold down flat against the transom instead of having to remove them. And there are 2 seats on top of the livewell and baitwell that are larger than the other boats we have looked at. There is also storage under the passenger seat, plus the porta-potty slides back under the floor in the cuddy so it is out of the way. We'll see what the owner says tomorrow.

Nice boat Nick I looked at a Sportcraft 25 WA a couple years ago with twin outboards but personally like I/O or inboards better. The only rated speed I could find for a 221WA was a outboard model with a 250hp which gave 44mph as top speed so you should be faster than my 26 as I can barely hit 40 on good water WOT and cruise around 30 to 34 mph. I hope you get it soon as you got a lot of gear to get mounted on it for fishing season.

I will guys. If we buy it I probably won't get it for a couple weeks as its in storage and blocked in by 6 other boats, at least. We had to crawl over and under them to get at it. And yes, I will post plenty of pics. Thanks guys!

Sportcrafts have a very nice layout for fishing but you should get a marine survey done on the hull before you buy it. Older Sportcrafts have been know to have rot in the stringers. Getting a survey done to make sure the hull is sound is a good idea on any larger boat you plan to buy.

I totally agree with what EDB said about the survey. If you can, try to find a SAMS surveyor. SAMS stands for Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors.

One thing that is invaluable with the survey is to be there when they do it. You will learn so much about what to look for in future boats you might want to purchase, and things you can do to the boat you plan on purchasing as preventive maintenance.

In your case it may be to late depending on the offer was written.

Also are you planning to fish that boat out of Ludington if you get it?

Good luck and hope everything goes smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

On the advice of the surveyor I talked to I didn't get it surveyed. When I first started looking at boats this winter I talked to an accredited surveyor and he told me what to check for when looking at boats. I followed his advice and checked the limber holes, stringers, and transom, the main sources of failure. I talked to the surveyor again after looking at the boat and he didn't think that a survey was necessary. There was no sign of water or moisture in any of the stringers or the transom. He told me that you can usually figure out if you need a survey or not, they are usually only needed if you have any questions on the integrity of the hull. That being said, I agreed on a price for the boat today. I will pick up the title next week and it should be available or me the week of the 15th when some of the larger boats are removed to be slipped. Thanks for the input guys.