dialed out dipsy

when using dipsy divers on a 1 to 3 setting the depth reached is less than at a 0 setting...for a given speed and amount of line out. how far away from the center line does the dipsy track as you dial it out ??? safe to say that you sacrifice some depth to get away from the boat some unknown distance???

maybe there are to many variables...travel direction ,current,etc, but it would be nice to know....can anyone help?

Tony, Welcome Aboard!

Are you new to Divers?

What do you have for line and rods?

Yes, the higher the setting, the higher the diver will run.

When we only run one diver per side , we will use the #1 setting to gain the most depth for line out. If the fish are high in the water column (ie cold water times) then set your divers to a higher setting to gain distance from the boat.

If you use the search tool, there quit a few discussions on divers in the archives.

here's a few.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10565&highlight=divers

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/search.php?searchid=245407

I'm sure you will get more reply's also. Keep asking, and we will help.

thanks for the links Ken, i'll read those next...i figure i'm somewhere at the begining of the learning curve, having fished out of pt.colborne for only 2 years. we run jets and dipsies off of inline boards, just bought leadcore reels to use on the inside...way to many tangles up til now, but steering straight has been an issue. good group out here and i learn something every time..thanks again for the tips

Tony, the tangles will go away with time as you learn better what all the equipment is doing.

Your best setup for a diver will be: 8.5-9.5' rod, Line counter real, loaded with 40-50 pound braid (mono is just way to hard to release the diver). Lay your diver poles horizontal out the side of your boat. A setting of 1 or 1.5 will get them far enough away from the boat to not get tangled in your rigger poles.

If your going to run lead core (or copper), put it on a church walleye board http://www.churchtackle.com/walleye.html Most every one will agree that these work the best for core. Hook the board on just past the core, and let it out to the side 100-200'. If you run your core too close to the boat, the diver rod will tangle in it when a fish hits.

A really nice 6 rod spread will include 2 riggers (with optional sliders) 2 divers with spinners/fly and 2 lead core/copper out on boards.

A full core will run about 40'.

Ken.