wire rod

ive thought about it...if i didnt already have the rod and had to buy a rod and a twilli....i would probably just spend the extra 25 0r 30 bucks and get the roller....but im sure you mentioned that rod cuz you already have it..i imagine depending on what the material youre guides are made of they would last a season or two...i think(i dont know)you might have to worry about the wire dragging on the guides and maybe pig tailing the wire

I use a Daiwa Heartland w/ a Twilli tip for my wire rods and they work great. Don't get a cheap roller rod, they are nothing but trouble. I learned this the hard way. After 2 seasons none of my guides show any wear. I really like this setup. The only negative is the amount of resistance you get from the Twilli. But it's not too bad.

I think you will be fine lots of guys use similar setups for years with no issues. I have used a set of the rods that several others dislike for 2 seasons with no issues as well. The advantage to what you are going to do is even though you will have to work a little harder for each fish it is more forgiving to mistakes. What happens to many with the cheaper roller rods is they make a mistake and the line jumps off the roller and disaster strikes. They then hear about the Shimano and other high end rods with better rollers and blame the problem on the cheap rod they bought. Wireline fishing is not for everyone yes it catchs fish and is highly productive but like setting a bear trap you do it right or pay the price.

The reason for the twili-tip is to help prevent kinking the line. The reason for roller rods is to prevent kinking the line and to reduce friction and wear on the guides. You would be amazed at how much this adds to the pressure you apply on a fish. Take your favorite fishing pole and attach the line to a spring scale point the rod straight at the scale so there is no effect of the rod and pull till the drag slips and record it that if done correctly will tell you what the reel drag is set at. Now lift the rod and apply pressure like you would while fighting a fish and see what it takes to get the drag to slip it is often 2 or 3 times as much. If it weren't for the fact I cringe every time I hand someone a roller rod I would use them on more of my setups. Standard eyelets and mono fishing setups are very forgiving you can do a lot of bad things and recover. As guys move into super lines and braid it is a great setup but less forgiving to error. Then you have the light tackle guys even less forgiving. Finally wire line and roller rods where there is nearly zero room for error. I have a set of Eagle Claw roller rods I have fished with them for a couple of years very few of the guys I fish with have ever seen them. Why well ask Paulywood "Nick" or a few others here if you mishandle a fish and the wire jumps off the roller you have milli seconds to correct it or you are going to have a bad day. Things will break cursing will occur basiclly all the bad parts of the bible. And what happens is the rod gets blamed because it is a cheap peice of junk. So you trot down to the store and max out your credit cards on a set of Shimano rods which hava a closed in roller guard. Now you can still mishandle a fish and lose gear but at least the line can't jump off the roller and ruin your day. The first thing I try to explain to people who fish with me is there is no setting the hook and very little pumping the rod we are trolling not bass fishing the fish are either already hooked or gone just apply steady pressure and bring them in. This is more true with wireline than any other equipment we use.

Jim might be right but I have way to many inexperienced fishermen on my boat every year to trust a rod like that. 3 dipsey/flasher/fly setups lost was enough to convince me the rod had to go. I don't know why the new tip wouldn't work. Worth a shot.

I ran the firewolf for 3 years with the twilli with no problems. I sold it just a month ago to upgrade to another roller. I would highly recomend the twilli, as stated before it will save you numerous headaches with twists and kinks. Good Luck.

Rich