Thru Hulls

Who all has them and what model. I just bought a Raymarine DS600X a couple weeks ago. It came with the transom ducer. I have a datamarine depth sounder with a thru hull ducer in the boat right now. It doesn't work and Im considering buying a new thru hull ducer. My dad and I own a 16ft polarcraft with a lowrance fishfinder that never worked real well. Im thinking of using the raymarine transom ducer for the polar craft and then just use the raymarine fishfinder when I use the polarcraft. I guess Im just looking for some feedback on the thru hulls from anyone who owns them. Looks like I can use the B60 tilted element for my A series Raymarine. Anyone have this ducer? Thanks sorry for the novel.

Probobly should have put this thread in the marine electronics section.

i have a SS-60...with a furuno fcv-620. same as the B-60. if your able to compare the two ducers you will find that the B-60 is a better performing model than the transom mount, i took me a few hours to install. the hardest part was to overcome the fear of screwing up drilling the 2-3/4" hole in the boat!!! i used 3M 5200 sealant and its not leaked or loosed yet, another tricky part was to get a wrench around the large nut, but used a trick a shop teacher showed me in high school, as you may know and anyone who takes pictures for a living may tell you, a camera is only as good as the lens you are using!!! here more info and try gemeco for buying it i think they have good prices on most stuff!!!

http://airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/ElectCat.asp?ProdID=36&Man=All&PageNo=67

http://www.gemeco.com/index.htm

Sean, i dont know if your going to be trailering?? if yes, nick is correct in that some thru-hull transducers can be damaged or broken off during launching and recovery. one of the pluses of the B-60/SS-60 is that it is low profile and after speaking with a customer service agent at AIRMAR they informed me that the B-60/SS-60 was designed for trailered boats and it going over rollers or resting on bunks was NOT going to do any damage to the ducer according to the airmar agent. another concern of mine is that you said you may remove a old ducer and replace it with the B-60?? if yes the challenge maybe trying to open up the existing hole. i dont think a hole saw may work unless you some how plug the old hole with a wood dowel, as a hole saw uses a drill bit with a outer ring inter-changeable saw and trying to keep the drill bit centered in the hole can be trouble?? is this clear?? maybe trying a roto-zip the get the hole enlarged?? it does not need to be perfectly round as the ducer has a larger flange on it to make the seal!!! hope this helps

sscn0236_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info! My current thru hull is 2", so I will have to drill it out to 2 3/8's for the B60. I did some research, and it looks like this is the way to go if you need to drill a larger hole with a hole saw. Its called an oops arbor. Check it out http://toolmonger.com/2008/03/26/enlarge-holes-with-the-starrett-oops-arbor/

Thats good news about the B60 as my roller does roll right over the thru hull.