Lowrance HDS

My father bought the HDS-5 over the winter. I am huge lowrance fan and this on the outside was very nice. After playing with it we discovered these wonderful built in base maps are for the most part innacurate. Being that they are new they may come up with a patch to fix the base maps eventually but in the mean time if you want an accuarate chartplotter depth contuors you'll need to spend 200 bones on some Navionics. And even though the unit said it was capable of the lakemaster chip, mine would not work in the unit. We wound up returning his and got a great deal on an older model and a lakemaster chip for it and saved hundreds. Sometimes when products are pushed to market they can have some issues that over time get fixed.

My father bought the HDS-5 over the winter. I am huge lowrance fan and this on the outside was very nice. After playing with it we discovered these wonderful built in base maps are for the most part innacurate. Being that they are new they may come up with a patch to fix the base maps eventually but in the mean time if you want an accuarate chartplotter depth contuors you'll need to spend 200 bones on some Navionics. And even though the unit said it was capable of the lakemaster chip, mine would not work in the unit. We wound up returning his and got a great deal on an older model and a lakemaster chip for it and saved hundreds. Sometimes when products are pushed to market they can have some issues that over time get fixed.

Alot of times they come out with software updates for issues such as this. Check the website of the electronics manufacturer for an update.

I did some research over the weekend an found out that there are some problems with the new HDs ....Sounds like they with have the new software available on April 15 to correct the problems...Wil see how they work after that then make my decision..