Story of the ICEBURG MONSTERS. 3-18-09

Well, children.

Set back and relax and let old Captain Dan tell you the story of the iceburg monsters. Captain Dan was very dissapointed the other day when he went out to fish but could not troll. And not having enough time to wait until the skim ice melted, he didn't get to even try trolling. But last night Captain Dans brother called and told him that two of his buddies caught 3 walleyes and a steellhead trolling from Finn Road to the Hot ponds in 5 to 6 FOW. So this morning Captain Dan and his side kick Reel Fishing launched at the Finn road ramp and headed out.

But after 2 hours of trolling nothing had happened. So Captain Dan decided to try on the other side of the channel where the water was cleaner. But alas, after almost 2 hours over there with nothing to show for the effort things were not looking to good for Captain Dan and friend. One of the things Captain Dan noticed was the 3 very large iceburgs floating near the shoreline. So he told his friend, I'll bet all those monsters are hiding under those iceburgs.

Of course Captain Dan didn't really think anything but zebra mussles were hiding under the iceburgs, but thought taking a picture of them would make a good picture to post on his fishing board. So as they trolled their lures very near the iceburg, Captain Dan snapped a picture. But before he could put the camera down the In-Line board near the burg (see picture) dropped back with a heavy weight on it. Of course Captain Dan and friend thought it was snagged on the burg, but it seems it was not. So after landing thier very first fish of what was now afternoon, they swung back around and did it all over again. And again, and again, and again, and again, until 8 iceburg monsters fell prey to Captain Dan and friends offerings. Two of the older/wiser iceburg monsters were released to keep the iceburg clan brood alive and viable for next time. The End. :grin:

IM001860.sized.jpg

IM001850.sized.jpg

IM001852.sized.jpg

IM001856.sized.jpg

IM001857.sized.jpg

IM001858.sized.jpg

IM001862.sized.jpg

Edited by Walleye Express

It was close to 51 over in front of the Hot Ponds but only 38 and change where we were. Every fish we caught was a female, even the smaller ones were bulging with eggs. So if I/we go again Friday, I'll be taking pictures but won't be keeping any for myself. It's a blast, but don't make sense to me taking that many viable spawners out of the system at this time. ;)

Don't forget this is a very early ice out, we are usually still on ice. I find it very interesting that Dan and a few others might be in the initial development of a new, unexplored method of catching early fish. In the past I have read comments about wadding for fish and casting with huskey jerks, but not trolling, at least not for a few weeks yet. There always seems to be a gap between river fishing once the season closes, and when the bay fish start. This year there doesn't seem to be that gap. I believe Gary Parsons may have hinted about the possibilities when he talked with us in our saginawbay.com fish chat a few weeks ago about casting jigs "by the trailer park" and catching walleye. Those of you out learning about this newer fishery keep up the good work and keep sharing. And Capt. why do you think you would catch fish near an iceburg. I would think that is where the coldest water would be. Is it a light thing or maybe structure?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Dave.

I've thought about the iceberg thing and have a few thoughts. Some say both snow and ice give off oxygen. I know it's definitely darker near and under an iceberg. Both baitfish and predators can hide under or near there for cover if they wanted. Possibly, the bottom dynamics that may have held the burgs where they were on Wednesday, a very calm day, may also be the right bottom dynamics for holding pre spawn walleye. I'm not really sure about the colder theory, with the amount of water surrounding the burgs. Maybe very near it might be colder. A lot of the keys and cues we get as fishermen that help us find and catch fish do not always have to makes perfect sense. We just have to stay aware, takes mental notes and use or re-use what we learn when we recognize the successful similarities. We don't always have to see the arrow fall back to earth after shooting it skyward. We all know it's going to fall back down someplace. ;) Capt. Dan.

• 1 month later...