Depth Raider vs Sub troll 900

Tony the Fish Hawk is a package system it has it's own transducer that sends to the Fish Hawk. While in the end my choice on the Depth Raider came down to price and size of the display unit. (Limited dash space) They idea of putting more holes in my transom did not appeal to me. I talked to Kurt Kell last year about a idea which he agreed would work fine and that is to install the antenna and cable on all of my riggers and to use a switch box to select which one I wanted the unit to read. This way if I wanted I could have speed and temp on every rigger. This would allow me to compare notes between each setup I was running.

I'm not a big fan of drilling holes in my boat. It's kind of like spanking your kid, sometimes neccessary but I'd like to avoid it if possible. I might be leaning to the cable w/ the antenna. I'm only going to be running two riggers anyway. What would you guys suggest, (drilling into the bottom of a whaler or use the cable setup?)

For me it was simple the gains from the Fish Hawk which you pay for are both surface temp and speed and subsurface temp and speed on the same display. My fishfinder combo unit gives me surface temp and speed or the option I choose which is GPS speed my second GPS also gives me speed and course. The coated cable is only needed for depths past 100ft on the Depth Raider and Sub Troll. It comes down to a preferance really to me the Depth Raider gives me the info I need uses the smallest dash space and is cheaper. The Sub Troll is a great unit does everything the Depth Raider does and is priced about the same but has a much larger display unit. The Fish Hawk provides features I did not need requires holes in my transom has a new display that is Bigger the the Depth Raider and smaller than the Sub Troll and costs more. If Cannon would make up their minds if they are going to continue their Speed and Temp unit it would be the one I would consider buying as it gives you light levels at depth and also gives actual depth as it has a sensor for depth. This allows you know what the true running depth is. Cabellas and a few other places used to sell a temp depth monitor that you could clip on the cannon ball and it would give you actual temp and depth readings but you had to pull it back up to read it.

When I was at the show in Grand Rapids on Sunday I spoke to the Cannon Rep. and he said that Cannon will be coming out with a new unit next year. I not even sure if you can still buy their unit, although I had thought that it was the best way to go. Just not sure if I want to wait until next year to purchase a unit

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have a sub-troll 900 for sale. One season in lake michigan. $200 complete. I will deliver & help install in west michigan. I now charter in Key West in the winter so I do not need anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I have a sub-troll 900 for sale. One season in lake michigan. $200 complete. I will deliver & help install in west michigan. I now charter in Key West in the winter so I do not need anymore.

Do you still have this?

If you are still looking for a Depth Raider try ebay, I picked mine up a couple weeks ago , had it out for the first time yesterday. Its a refurb unit but you will save just over 100.00. Came with a full warenty and everything needed for install.

They are great units, really helped me get the speed correct, gps speeds were 3.1 -3.6 at the ball 2.1-2.2 picked up three fish in lees than 1 hour, correct speed made all the difference.

Tight Lines

Jim

• 2 weeks later...