Depth Raider vs Sub troll 900

I know this has been discussed before but i am looking to get either the depth raider or the sub troll ( i would not be opposed to the cannon but i heard they were going to discontinue them) this week and would like to get all of the feedback possible. I run a 17 ft lund with 2 big jon electric captains packs and remove them after each trip for storage so ease of disconnecting is imperative. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I chose the Depth Raider because I liked the display better. There are some who say the probe in the Sub Troll is better I have no issues with mine it does everything it said it would and the batteries last nearly forever over 2 seasons on the first probe battery and I will let you know when the second one stops working but expect it to work well into next year. As far as removing the downriggers there is no difference between them unplug the antenna takes about 1 extra second.

i have the sub troll..i lke the big analog display you can see every fluctuation in speed..it has a small digital temp display in it also...ive never had a problem with the probe (nothing withstands the prop however)as far as removal its a little tough..it has ibeleive 3 wires in the back im guessing here i havent seen it in a while i only remove it for winter..1 for the backlight 1 for power(with inline fuse)1 for the probe..it can be setup with quick disconnects.i havent used the other brands so i cant comment on them but i like how i can see the display from anywhere in the boat under any light condition

The Moor Subtroll is a great unit and youll definitely be happy with it. The big difference between the subtroll and the depth raider. The subtroll has a large anolog read out (similar to a speedometer) and the depth raider has a digital readout.

I second what the other's said. You can't go wrong with either unit. It really comes down to personal preference as far as display. If you have more room and like the big display so you can see small speed changes, go with the Moor. If you are limited in space, go with the Depth Raider. I would suggest going and checking out each unit in person. You can't go wwrong either way.

Good luck.

David unless you find one at a really good price there is no need to hurry untill the water temp starts to build this summer. You are welcome to come take a ride on my boat and check out the Depth Raider and we can probably get Don Fishsniffer to join us with his boat then you could see them both side by side. Even the guys who complained about the older Fish Hawk units battery consumption and large dash eating display loved them. So it is not a case where any one is way better than the other it really comes down to personal preference.

Have you seen the NEW Fishhawk? I have the new probe with the old unit, and love it.

fishhawkx4.jpg

Notice how small the probe and unit are now. You do not have to replace your downrigger cable, the battery life of the new probe is suppose to be over 100 hours, and there is less blow back with the new probe. The new probe enclosed in acrylic, and is suppose to be able to go down to 300'.

When you want to remove your downrigger, just remove it. There are no wires to disconnect for an antenna.

Well I can't tell you what is better or now, I can tell you I bought the new Fishhawk and I like the way it looks, I can see a lot of good things comingfrom this Tool, it looks quality built ,I like the way it shuts off with the absense of water, it's a little pricey, but it will be worth it.

I have the Cannon speed & temp and love this unit. Gives true depth and light % at depth. Over the past 2 seasons we have learned much about light transmission through the water column. Some days the sun can be high but the water is (dirty) enough that no light penitrates below 40'-50'

I am going to give the new Fish Hawk a try this year also. Want a second probe to give me the lower and upper ends of the thermals

Brian

Thanks for the input guys. i found the sub troll for $379 at the outdoorsman in jenison and they said it would be even cheaper this weekend at the fishing show. does anyone know who has the best price on the fish hawk and the depth raider.

I got my Depth Raider slightly cheaper than that but it was at the 06 show in GR. From what I have seen add nearly 200 for the Fish Hawk. Getting ready to start my 4th season with the Depth Raider. Honestly I think the Sub Troll was around the same price back then I liked the small footprint of the display as I did not have a lot of dash space on the old boat.

D & R Sports has the new Fishhawk for $599. Someone post a link somewhere for $549 for it. The foot print for the x-4 is small, and it can be flush mounted on your dash, if you have room.

Well i told myself that i wasnt going to spend any more money on the boat this year and I dont even have it out of storage and i have already spent $400!:eek: Well thank you,I really appreciate all of your input and i decided to go with the depth raider. I really liked the analog display on the sub troll but i liked how small the probe was for the depth raider. I liked the new fish hawk best of all but the price was just too high for my budget. One last question, did you guys use the crimps that came with the units or did you switch it out for the Klincher upgrade that MOOR makes and is there any reason that it wouldnt work for the depth raider.

Thanks Again

Dave

I used the crimps when I got mine and it worked fine for 2 season last year I lost a probe and replaced it I crimped it as well. This year I am switching to the Klincher setup and yes it will work the same on the Depth Raider as it does on the Sub Troll they both use the same cable and similar antenna setups.

How difficult is it to install a FishHawk X4, I don't have a probe on my boat and have never used one. I have recently purchased a 2001 Boston Whaler Conquest 280, it came equipped w/ Raymarine electronics including autopilot, I think all I'm missing is a temp/speed probe. Do you just hook the probe to a downrigger or does the cable actually go down w/ the probe? I realize this might seem like a dumb question... It's because it is a dumb question :rolleyes:

The Fish Hawk adds a transducer to your boat like a fish finder and the probe attachs just like a cannon ball then you have a short cable below the probe to attach the cannon ball. The Probe has a transmitter in it and sends sonar signal to the transducer. It will interfere with some fish finders but I don't remember which ones. One advantage is you can use any rigger for the probe a disadvantage is if the probe swings out of the receive cone of the transducer you will lose the signal. This does not happen often and most of the time you can adjust the transducer if you have trouble with it.

The depth raider and the subtroll both come with a nylon coated downrigger cable that replaces your existing cable and this is how the info is sent to a antenna mounted on the rigger. The fish hawk has a transducer that mounts on the back of the boat and the probe sends its signal up that way so you do not have to replace your rigger cable. In both cases the probe is mounted just above your weight on the cable. Hope this helps.

Dave

How difficult is it to install a FishHawk X4, I don't have a probe on my boat and have never used one. I have recently purchased a 2001 Boston Whaler Conquest 280, it came equipped w/ Raymarine electronics including autopilot, I think all I'm missing is a temp/speed probe. Do you just hook the probe to a downrigger or does the cable actually go down w/ the probe? I realize this might seem like a dumb question... It's because it is a dumb question :rolleyes:

There are no dumb questions here. Other people are probably wondering the same thing, but are afraid to ask.

Jim hit the nail on the head on how it works and how to hook it up. I have the Fishhawk, and I can put the probe on any one of my down riggers and still get signal. With the Moore or Depth Raider, you are limited to the rigger you have the coated cable on.

Welcome to the site Chris. Please take a minute and do an introduction in the Welcome Center.

Mike

I have been thinking of one of these units, and I am gravitating towards the Fishhawk because of not having to use the coated cable. I already have surface temp from the transducer for my fishfinder, and over the ground speed from my GPS. All I really need is down speed and temp.

Do you have to use the transducer that comes with the Fishawk or can you set it up to just use the probe for the downrigger functions. It seems a little redundant to have two sets of boat speed and surface temp.