copper and wire

Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to start setting up a pair of copper and wire diver rigs and had some questions. I would like to just set up 2 of each for now. I am planning on going with either 150 or 300 of 45 lb. copper. But what type of backer and how much should I use? How much line capacity does a reel need to have to hold a 150 or 300 setup?

How much wire line should I spool up and what type and how much backer is best?

Thanks for any advice and good luck

Copper requires huge reels not really any way to get around it I bought both of my copper setups ready to fish from The Outdoorsmen in Jenison. Actually I received one as a gift and bought the other. They are Okuma CV55L reels with 150 yds of 20lb mono backer 300ft of 45lb copper and 20 yds of 20lb mono leader. I have 6 other core rods and a bunch of Dive Bombs so I can hit pretty much any depth I want so I got both in 300ft of 45lb copper. Wire goes with several schools of thought setup wise I have a CV30D I bought pre spooled with 75 yds of Dacron backer and 600ft of 30lb wire I have never seen the knot. There are many who use the same reel and just spool on 1000ft of 30lb wire. My second wireline setup is a CV45D This has 150yds of Dacron and 600ft of 30lb wire again I have never seen the knot so it may be over kill.

Ryan,

The best reel for a 150' of copper is an okuma 45. You can get 300 yds of 50 lb power pro backing and the 150 of copper on the reel no problem.

The 300' an okuma 55 series and you can get 300 pp 50lb backing

take a look at this thread to see how i was telling you to set the copper to the swivel connection up.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12547

When i set up my copper i run backing 50 lb power pro, then 50 ft of 30 lb mono for my board connection, then the length of copper, and finally 30 ft of 20 lb gamma fluorocarbon leader. If you dont use mono for your board connection the board tends to walk down the super braid and it cuts in to the release. the release i was telling you about at bass pro id the big jon otter relase. Also if you use mono as a backer although cheaper you wont get nearly as much on the real for backer. Also the mono will show signs of wear so you can cut it back and retie it. the super braids tend to break before you see any signs of wear.

Wire divers i am using the okuma 45 line counters with 1000ft of 30 lb wire. I back it either with 30 lb test mono. or just braided dacron 30lb test.

I had mine done at a baitshop. My copper is tied to the line. I have seen in the past a small swivel then wrapped in tape or shrinkwrap to allow it to go through reel. Not sure exactly what knots though. I dont have wire but i know most with 1000' on reel tie direct were as 600' most have leaders. Sorry no better info. A few ideas on this thread search. "Copper line attachment "

Thanks guys. Great info, Good to hear from you Aaron, by the way how do you guys like to connect wire to backers and leader? crimps with small swivels? I see some guys are tying it on with good results.

thanks again

What i do for my backer under my wire is tie an albright knot from the backer to the wire. the wire gets shaped in a U and the mono or dacron is wrapped around it. Do a search in yahoo on animated albright knot and it is pretty easy to follow the steps. For my connection to the swivel for the diver i use a crimp. I know some people that tie the different wire knots, but i have not had much luck with them.

Here is a neat site for knots I use the Albright to connect a lot of stuff all my wire is tied to the backer with a Albright knot. I used to use crimps on my wire ends but have pretty much gone to knots as it is easier to see a problem with a knot on wire then a crimp. Crimps tend to look fine till they fail knots start to fray and get ugly so you can see when you need to cut them back and retie. Every time one of my diver connections fails it is about 40 bucks so I am trying to stop failure alltogether.

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Here is a neat site for knots I use the Albright to connect a lot of stuff all my wire is tied to the backer with a Albright knot. I used to use crimps on my wire ends but have pretty much gone to knots as it is easier to see a problem with a knot on wire then a crimp. Crimps tend to look fine till they fail knots start to fray and get ugly so you can see when you need to cut them back and retie. Every time one of my diver connections fails it is about 40 bucks so I am trying to stop failure alltogether.

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

what knot are you using to connect your wire to the swivel(diver end)

Linedancin,

It's basically a simple, overhand knot. I'll try to describe to the best of my ability.

Take the end of your wire and thread it through the swivel. Bring the end back up doubling the wire and forming a loop with the swivel hanging. Take the doubled up wire above the swivel and wrap it around your finger once, then thread the swivel through the loop you created by wrapping the wire around your finger. Pull it as tight as you can get it and trim your tag end.

Believe me, it's a lot simpler to tie than that sounds!!

Good luck!

Linedancin,

It's basically a simple, overhand knot. I'll try to describe to the best of my ability.

Take the end of your wire and thread it through the swivel. Bring the end back up doubling the wire and forming a loop with the swivel hanging. Take the doubled up wire above the swivel and wrap it around your finger once, then thread the swivel through the loop you created by wrapping the wire around your finger. Pull it as tight as you can get it and trim your tag end.

Believe me, it's a lot simpler to tie than that sounds!!

Good luck!

Is this like what you are using:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

I might try this one out it is different than the one i was originally shown.

Is this like what you are using:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

I might try this one out it is different than the one i was originally shown.

1000' of wire on a Daiwa SG47LC works magic. I also dont like crimps. They can fail and its just more stuff to look for if you kink and need to rerig. The knot in that link works fantastic....Half hitch and an overhand knot...dont get any simpler than that...Simple=effective in almost anything you do.;)