body bait speed

It depends on if you run big boards or inlines? And how close you want to get to shore with your boat. After ice out those Browns will nearly setup in beach chairs on a sunny day running my big boards off a mast all the way out and in knee deep water is not unusual keepin mind you really need to know the water and be prepared to bump bottom now and then as the sandbars will be all over the place. I don't chase browns in my 26ft at least not like I did in the 18ft because of that having the water go from 10ft deep to 2 ft deep in a small boat is one thing doing it in a big boat is another. In the 26 I tend to stay out in 20ft or so of water and send the inline boards way out often to a point you can barely see them. But the last thing I want is a 8000lb boat sitting on the sand there are usually several sand bars just off shore and I try and fish inside of them and between them. Work slow and target the bottom body baits bouncing off the sand do well.

when i am targeting browns early, i try to keep the boat in about 10 fow ,this will put the inside board as close to the beach as 20 ft "most of the time"

the main thing to remember is your trying to find the warmest water possable and on a nice calm ,sunny spring day ,that will be the shallowest water you can find , and it dosn't hert to have a small creek flowing in to the lake to attract bait like smelt or minnows also i run the same speed as i do in the summer around 2.5 to 2.7 on the gps

hope this helps a little

Check the lure action at different speeds before you let it all the way out. Sometimes it's necessary to tweak them a little. Find the speed they run the best at. It doesn't hurt to bump the speed up or down a touch. Just find out what they want, and give em lots of it.:)

I have found that while some days a "fast" troll (2-2.5) might produce other days might require you to troll slow 1.5-2 mph. Vary your speeds and check your baits action because a slow troll might make the difference on a day when the fish are inactive.

I have found that for browns 2 to 2.5 to be my best speed as well. I have a 20 pounder getting mounted as we speek that I expect back anyday that I cought off of southhave last year prefishing for the pro am. I will post pics when I get it back. the magic speed that day was 2.2mph on the gps.