slider spoons

If you set up for a slider I would match the spoon to the rest of your spread to make sure you get the action you desire. Not all spoons react well at the same speeds the others do. I would lean on the heavier spoon size to create more bow in the line. This is my opinion others might have other suggestions....

I always run the the std size spoons as sliders. I never run a slider on a rod that has a flasher on it. It's best to run short leads on the main line if you are going to put out sliders. If you run long leads the slider has a long ways to slide before you get into the fish. When a fish hits the slider you will probably see the rod start shaking. Get on that rod, release it, and reel like a maniac. You need to get some tension on that fish A.S.A.P.:)

Edited by Priority1

We tend to use the standard Stingers or North Port Nailers. Also we do not use the true slider, we swithced to running a fixed slider. we use what they call sticker stackers. At first I was a little unsure, but the results have me sold. The hook up percentage went way up, i would guess at least 85% since the change.:grin:

I will generally run the same or similar color spoon for my slider. The main line spoon is a Mag. and the slider is a standard. Early in the year I will run a SS as the slider and not worry so much about the color matching the main line spoon. I have always ran free sliders, but I'm looking to try some fixed sliders this year.

With a fixed slider, you know exactly where the slider is in relation to the ball(main line). With a free slider, the slider can be anywhere in between. I generally run my fixed sliders 10' above the ball.

There are several ways to fix your slider to the main line. Some people use a rubber band and a half hitch, some use the stacker stickers, and some use a piece of surgical tubing/barrel swivel/bead. I use the surgical tubing/barrel/bead method.

I am sure there are other devices for fixing sliders to the main line.

I was fishing with another member a couple of years ago. He clipped the slider on to the rubber band only and not the main line. We had a hit on the slider, and brought in the main line only. :( In his defense.....it was dark when we set the lines.

i almost always run fixed and free sliders when i run fixed i run them like mike but alot of times i like to run free sliders and i will run spoons from the ss jr size to the mag size and sometimes have the smaller spoon on the bottom and sometimes run the same size spoons when i am speed trolling i run free sliders and on the chute most of the time

I run fixed and free sliders I use Alberta Clippers for fixed sliders and love them. I will run fixed sliders anywhere from 10 to 30 ft above the ball and will run nearly anything except boards behind them I actaully used to send down meat rigs on sliders and liked them very well but I have become Herring impaired so now I am looking at trying some of the vibrator head flys this way. Oh and the meat rig sliders made for some wild dbls.

I for one have nothing but bad luck with sliders, fixed or free.

Even using ball bearing swivels, they will always be tangled at end of the day.

When the fish are on a good bite, theirs no need to run them.

When the fishing is slow, it does add another choice.

Good luck.

What pound test should I run for the slider ( my main line is 30lb- to keep the fleas off the line in Lake Ontario-west end)? Also, can you find these fixed slider attatchements( alberta clipper, sticker stackers) at places like Gander Mountain? Thanks for all the replies so far .

Gander and a lot of bait shops sells the Alberta Clipper's. I made most of my slider leaders out of 20lb P Line Flouroclear last year but still have a few made with big game 25lb. Since most tournies set slider length at 6ft that is the length I use. I will never mix a slider and and a flasher fly combo again but other than that for me most anything goes. I tend to add a lot of free sliders as they are quick to toss out and add on. My fixed slider use is mainly when fishing in front or in the channel and I never run more than 6 rods so adding the extra baits helps. So if I can have 4 riggers with J Plugs and Spoons going on each and a couple of divers with flasher fly combos that gives me 10 baits in a small area and often makes for some explosive action.

On our boat, if the main line has a spoon, it will have a slider on it, even on the light line stealth rigger. For line I use whatever is on the main line. We run both fixed and free sliders and all sliders are 72". For the fixed, I do find the Alberta clippers to be our best choice. Be carefull with the Alberta clippers because they eventually will wear a grove in the plastic and it will damage your line if not replaced.

A couple things I have learned about sliders. We use two different sized swivels on the slider. On the spoon end the normal swivel will be attached and for the swivel attached to the main line I use a larger swivel so it will pass over the swivel on the main line and on to the spoon.

Another thing, I always set the rigger about 6 feet down then put the free slider on and in the water. Take a look at the spoon to make sure it's running correctly, then send the rigger to it's set depth while keeping a good amount of tension on the line. This will lock the slider on the line and pull it down with the ball, then it will fluter up some.

Last thing. We have very few rules on my boat (I think anyways) but one big one for rigger rods is that you do not remove the rod from the holder until you feel the fish on. Reel the crap out of that rod first to catch up with slider fish and never set the hook. The hooks are sharp already and all you do is make the hole bigger and give the fish 6 feet of slack by setting the hook.

For slider spoons. This is one place I will run a lot of stingers and yeck spoons. I also like the SS Dreamweavers and last season I ran some of the new Warrior flutter spoons. I use a lot of gold and orange and green dolphins on sliders. We take way to many fish on these not to have them out everytime possible.