Dual Planer Boards

They look nice. What do you plan to run off them?

Most guys in our area run inline boards with there lead core.

There are a few still that like the big boards though.

They should run good for you though.

They look nice. What do you plan to run off them?

Most guys in our area run inline boards with there lead core.

There are a few still that like the big boards though.

They should run good for you though.

I have never run them myself. My cousin has some for his boat. I see people using them all the time and thought I would give it a shot. I know these will need planer reels, so thats my next purchase I guess. I guess what I like about these from what I understand is your line will totally release from these. What is the downside to these boards?

Reels are not necessary if you can rig some sort of mast or have a hardtop to run them off from. I have the line wound on some large line spools. I put a dowel through the spool and let the boards pull the line out. I have a dog snap on the end and just

hook it into an eye on a pvc mast, or now some eyes on my hardtop. To wind them in just head slightly towards the board, and rewind the line on the spool. I have two 1/4 inch SS eyes on the forward upper sides of my hardtop, for running big boards. On my former 16 foot boat I had a 2 inch sch 80 PVC mast that was guy wired and it slipped over a pedestal seat post. I seldom use my big boards.:)

I crazy about the in lines. I'm real comfortable pulling 8 in line boards and have pulled 10.:)

If you are going to run boards, consider some Bird Tree Rod Holders. I added them to my rig last year, and like them very much. Here is a pic of my Port side home welded SS Bird Tree.

DSCN1368.jpg

The reason a lot of guys only run inlines is because it is simpler. You don't have to deal with stowing the big boards, the hassle of setting out the boards and line, releases, things like that. With the inlines it is also easier to reset a line with a different leader length. Off the big boards it is easier to have them set the same distance behind the release. They are nice to have, especially in the spring for brown fishing. You can run them right up on the beach. They do pull out to the side farther than the inlines. It's a nice option to have.

I have a 6ft mast if you are interested I sold my big boards

Thanks for the feedback. I will figure somthing out for rigging them up. I wish I had a hardtop sometimes. I was looking at one of those trees as well. I have a radar arch Im putting on this spring, so I may have some holders put on the arch...not sure yet how Im going to do that.

I might be interested in your mast. My dad and I own a smaller polarcraft that it might work out real well on. Can you give me somemore info? I can either give you a jingle, or send me a pm. Thanks.

I have a set of boards very similar to what you purchased. I for one like them very much. It is my opinion that I would rather run 2 big boards than the inlines. The reasoning, is that I would rather fight the fish than drag em in behind the inlines. Don't get me wrong, I also have inlines, but have moved away from them. I have several releases for the big boards and use rubberbands attached to my line. Haven't had any tangle issues yet, but it doesn't matter what you run (inlines or big boards) you're bound to get a tangle at some point. I have 2 planer reels but have not even installed them yet. I let the boards out, and bring em in by hand, which is not difficult or time consuming. Another fisherman tipped me off, when bringing in your port boards by hand, turn to that side and it will come in much easier. Something else to look into is something I was talking about at the expo this weekend, and that is release savers. Some sort of line that big jon makes that if/when your planer board line breaks you don't loose your releases.

I have a set of boards very similar to what you purchased. I for one like them very much. It is my opinion that I would rather run 2 big boards than the inlines. The reasoning, is that I would rather fight the fish than drag em in behind the inlines. Don't get me wrong, I also have inlines, but have moved away from them. I have several releases for the big boards and use rubberbands attached to my line. Haven't had any tangle issues yet, but it doesn't matter what you run (inlines or big boards) you're bound to get a tangle at some point. I have 2 planer reels but have not even installed them yet. I let the boards out, and bring em in by hand, which is not difficult or time consuming. Another fisherman tipped me off, when bringing in your port boards by hand, turn to that side and it will come in much easier. Something else to look into is something I was talking about at the expo this weekend, and that is release savers. Some sort of line that big jon makes that if/when your planer board line breaks you don't loose your releases.

Sweet any info you might have on the releases if you don't mind sharing that would be great. Can you run more than one line of these boards?

Last year i was running 3 per side. Going to try an up the anti this year to 4, when I have enough people with me. Release can be expensive. I 've seen guys you shower curtain rings and tie a rubber band to that. Check em out at any retailer, and you'll get the idea. Probably find some online for rather cheap. The other key is to get a lot of them.

A cheap way to get a lot of releases is to use shower curtain hooks and alligator clips. You can make a bunch of them for very little money. A small piece of rubber tubing over each clip will help protect your line. Or you can use rubber bands half hitched to the line and then pinched in the clip. Or rubber bands half-hitched and hooked on the curtain hook without the clip. All will work.

I will have to look into the shower curtain idea! I bought these on ebay. Well talk about a small world. The guy I bought them from is the electrical project manager for the company doing the electrical upgrade at our plant. He is saving me a few bucks by delivering them next week when he is in the area for a progress meeting. I will have to hit him up for some info on how he fished with them. Kinda blew me away when he sent the email today:eek:

There are definitely pros and cons to both dual blade and in lines. The dual blades, which i run, are an a$$load of work but i do like the fight being just between me and the fish. I also like the dual blades because they are not jumping all over making my rods dance giving me fish anxiety!!! The biggest problem i have is trying to run 100 yds 45# copper. I have to pull my dipsy rods to get the copper back out without tangling. These setups really took the fish last year but we really WORKED for those fish. I guess i can only see it as not having a choice on pulling dipsys when you are running a line that sinks this quickly and pulls right across your dipsy lines.

I have and still do run as many as 6 lines off each side with the big boards.

It's all a matter of spacing and paying attention to what you are doing.

Also, instead of using the Dacron line, I use the plastic "weed whacker" line on mine.

Be sure to use the "round", and I think it is .065 diameter.

Then I go to the dollar store and get the round plastic shower curtain hooks for $1 a dozen. and use these with a rubber band.

thats kind of what i thought frank...that was my main reason for not running them i figure if one hits on the outside i wouldnt be able to put it back there cus i run lines progressively deeper towards the boat and i couldnt put the high line back out close to the boat...thanks for the reply