Okuma Reels-Like 'em?

Well Tim,

I had baught 9 brand new Convector reels from thefishdog company during the spring time. I had a CV45D break on me allready and a CV30D also break on me. Im not saying they are a bad reel but so far I had two break on me this year. I really like those Convectors though because of the nice big handle that they have. I think it don't really matter what reel you get you still probly will have a problem or two with them. But the Fishdog company have been very good to me by replacing them right away for me. I would still buy a Convector reel no matter what. But get them from the Fishdog company.

They will take good care of you if something does happen,

Rich

I have several MAGDA and Convector reels, I haven't any problems to date. I agree with Rich, no matter what you buy, you have a chance of getting a bad one. For the price/quality yourgetting a good deal. Also as Rich stated, geting them through the FISHDOG Company, you have an excellant service/return policy.

The 2 CV 45's(for copper),6 CV 30's for riggers,wire/mono/braid divers I own are satisfacory reels.

One issue I've noticed is the line creep,even the rigger rods & inline boards.

Divers can be annoying at times(click,click,click........).

I've had the extra washer mod added to all the CV's,they still creep.

Had Kings last season smoke off 900 + ft of wire with no drag complications.

Picked up 2 Tekota LC600's this spring,no line creep on the divers now :eek::cool:

The 2 CV 45's(for copper),6 CV 30's for riggers,wire/mono/braid divers I own are satisfacory reels.

One issue I've noticed is the line creep,even the rigger rods & inline boards.

Divers can be annoying at times(click,click,click........).

I've had the extra washer mod added to all the CV's,they still creep.

Had Kings last season smoke off 900 + ft of wire with no drag complications.

Picked up 2 Tekota LC600's this spring,no line creep on the divers now :eek::cool:

ME TO:

I am having the same problem with my drag to. On my dipsey rods that is all what they do is creep, all the time. So I have to allways tighten up my drag. Then I think my drag is way to tight. I really like those reels but what do I do about the drag on them.

Rich

This is a problem for other reels too.

This allows you to use a lighter drag so that fish can pull line when they hit the wire (or braid) dipsey lines and still not get line creep.

After you have set the dipsey, wrap two #19 rubber bands around the wire three times and then put both ends of each rubber band around the line counter. When the fish hits, the wire either cuts the rubber bands or you can realease them. I suppose you could use a single rubber band 1/8" wide instead of two 1/16" wide ones.

The dubro EZ Adjust release fastened on the rod just in front of the reel works for wire (haven't trried it on braid) too.

I have both Magda 30DX's and Convector CV20's. I love the Magda's and wish I had bought 20DX's instead of the Convectors. The drag just seems to be all or nothing - too tight or not enough. I also have problems everytime out with the freespool lever (I think that's what it's called - the lever you flip to release tension on the spool). It very frequently sticks with any tension on the spool. You have to reel a little in to get it to release.

I've never had a problem with the Magdas on Finger Lakes fish or Lake O. kings - I won't run the Convectors for Kings.

Question for you guys - I am thinking about switching one of my 8' 6" Classic Pro rod/Magda 30DX combo's to a wire diver rig. The rod I'm not so concerned about - just replace the tip top w/a Twilli tip, do any of you run the 30DX's as wire reels. Just want to see if anyone has had any issues with it, I'm not expecting any but thought I'd ask while on the subject. THANKS. DAN

The rod will handle it but the reel may not. First is the line guide. It should be brass and the one on the Magna is chrome plated. Over time, the wire will carve a groove into it. The 2nd concern is the drag on those reels. If anyone has run wire, then you have expierenced the huge 500 foot rips that a fish will take. I am just not comfortable that the drag will hold up to that kind of abuse over an extended period.

It is like entering a Chevette in a Corvette race. It will work, but it may not produce the desired results. I always think that one should fit the right equipment for the proper application. I attempted to do exactly what you are describing but with a set of Diawa AD45's. I got 2 seasons out of them and those reels are now on the bench ready to be torn down and have the drags replaced. Right now they are toast.

As far as line creep, every reel out there SHOULD creep if set correctly in my opinion. Depending on the waves and the current pull on the dipsys, I try to set my drag so that I am getting one click every 30 sec. or so. When I switch directions, I reset the drags as the waves and current change. When set this way, over a 15 min period it may creep out 2 foot. If you think about it, if a dipsy is just on the edge of pulling the drag, then you are plenty loose if that big screamer hits. I am constantly fiddling with the drags on all my dipsys to get them in the right setting.

The Convector reels incorporates a roller bearing and pinion gears into the lever and there are few reels that have these features on the market. It is a positive anti-reverse called a "Quick Set". It is designed to be able to go from free spool to lock down up to 50 MPH and hold tight. It took me some time to get use to it as it is a completely new system to me. And you say, Mark, I am never going to be fishing at 50 mph. Yes you are, every day. How many times have you been setting a rigger or a dipsy in freespool and a fish hits the bait while on the way down? Amazing how fast those suckers can swim.

But, with any reel on the market, once in a while one will get a bad apple. If you have one of those, and you purchased it from us, call me and we will make it right.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...