Copper line reels

I have a 300' spool of 45lb copper I'd like to set up but I'm not sure what reel to use. I have an extra Penn 330 but I'm not sure the copper, backing and leader will fit. Anybody running this setup that can help me out? Thanks!

I just got two Okuma Convector 45D reels spooled up with 150 ft of 45 lb copper and backing (25 lb mono) on each reel. These reels have worked well for me for a full core and should be OK with copper I think. This amount of copper is supposed to go down about the same as 100 yards of leadcore but will be just 1/2 the distance back so it will be less likely to get cut off when there are a lot of other boats around.

If you spool 300 yards of 30# Power Pro as backer you can fit 300' of 30#, or around 200' of 45# copper no problem. Use the albright knot and 20# mono leader has done well.

I have the Convector 45 set up the same way and did not get quite 300' of 30# copper on it, but it is a great producer when the fish are deep.

I am using a Convector 55L. Love it! Why mess with superline backing if you don't have too? I can fit plenty of plain old cheap green dot dacron under my copper with the 55. It holds a board a heck of a lot better too.

• 11 months later...

I am using the convevtor 55 also with no problems you can get 200 yds of mono backing and 300 ft. of 45 copper, just set up a pflueger G50SH non-levelwind put power-pro backing and 200 ft of 45 copper I wasn't sure about the non-levelwind but it worked great we took 4 fish on this setup saturday

hope this helps.

I've got my 200' of 45 lb copper on an Okuma Catalina 45 LC with 300 yds of 30 lb power pro backing.

My 400' copper is on an Okuma Titus T20L lever drag reel. That big honker of a reel has almost 400 yds of power pro backing behind it They are big saltwater reels and reasonably priced. I got mine for $115 from East Coast Tackle.

http://www.eastcoasttackle.com/index.html?token=1289394630-268649358-2031988562&A=2&B=Reels

Something to look at anyways.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Tekota 800 myself, on which I have put 150 yards of 50 ponds Power Pro + 600 feet of 45 ponds copper + 30 feet fluorocarbon 14 lbs.

That kit works wonderfully, it can reach 90-100 feet of depth when I put all the 600' of copper in the water.

(-8