controller

i am very bored....i plan on taking apart one of my r/c cars and putting the steering servo in my kicker motor by making a mounting bracket..then im going to put in an f.m receiver with a failsafe..i can control the speed with the throttle control but it returns itself to off...i am going to use the throttle trim on the controller to control the throttle on the kicker...my question is..do they make a rheostat type controller for a servo so that i dont have to have an r/c gun on my boat im thinking like a dimmer switch only operating on a r/f

Interesting idea Don I will see what I can think up one issue that comes to mind however is overcoming the throttle return springs with a small servo motor. Unless you completely disconect the throttle linkage I am not sure the small servo motor will do the job. Another issue would be if some smart alec found out what freq your servo was on they could bring their remote and mess up your trolling pattern big time. There are lots of servo motors that can be reostat controlled directly with voltage changes but they would be hard wired not RF. Fine tuning this will be fun as very little throttle movement is needed at idle speeds to make big changes.

You could look for an early 1980,s fuel injected vehicle that used an "Idle speed stepper motor". They will work off of 12 volts DC. Some later model vehicles used this as well.

Instead of a reostat you could use a potentiometer. Automotive application: TPS-throttle position sensor. They are a 3 wire sensor.

Don, you may want to try the reciever and servo by the motor first before you spend alot of time on it. You might get alot if radio interferance from the engine causing the servo to jump around vigerously and unpredictable.

This setup could also be dangerous for people to try cause it could potentially create an unsafe senario.