Reading My Keating On Kings (lazily)

I took a few hours today to read some of my Keatings, man..though he says Salmon Fishing isn't rocket science, it sure as heck seems like it. Light line, wire line, stelth setups,heavy tackle setups,Water column, Thermocline, Negative Kings, positive Kings.....When did it come to all this.????

I am buying into this program, but Darnnnn.....OK anymore advice, I'm open to it all....and Nailer, your the greatest... Love your advice and the video's you send me.....keep them coming.

the best thing to do is JUST FISH......i know its like drinking out of a fire hose but dont stress to much.......remember fishing is FUN!!! one thing to do is to learn by doing....take the books and try to apply a few things and experiment....and with more hours on the water it will get easier..and some days nothing will work.....but then again they call it fishing......if it were an excact science and a sure thing they be calling it CATCHING!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!

I took a few hours today to read some of my Keatings, man..though he says Salmon Fishing isn't rocket science, it sure as heck seems like it. Light line, wire line, stelth setups,heavy tackle setups,Water column, Thermocline, Negative Kings, positive Kings.....When did it come to all this.????

I am buying into this program, but Darnnnn.....OK anymore advice, I'm open to it all....and Nailer, your the greatest... Love your advice and the video's you send me.....keep them coming.

I think it only took me a day:) I am looking to apply some of the tips/tricks and slowly try some others during tough/slow times when my standard program is not working. Looking at how each part of presentation affects each other was big thing i took out of it. Very good book in my opinion. Have fun, thats what its all about. Totally agree with Boomerang about working on the water. It will get easier. Ecept for dealing with snow and hard water:angry2:

Well that's the frustration of it all, I can't get out on the water and I'm starting to twitch, and I don't suffer from turret's at all...

Keatings is a very good book, full of information and most of it's good info.....thanks Guys your all so supportive.

You don't always need the "light line" theory. There are a tremendous amount of successful captains and tournament winners on the east side of Lake Michigan that have never touched the 12lb. Depending on what side of the lake you fish on is a key factor in the methods you choose. Determine some of the top capatains in your area and start with what they might run and how they set up their presentations. On the east side last year there was a big plug bite and flasher fly bite for a lot of the season. Hottest baits were the 11" Pro-Troll double fishscale flasher with the Rature Oceanna behind it . It was in our spread from July thru the end of the year and never left the chute rod. Plugs were great on the copper and core rods. Specifically the Silver Horde 2x glow and the blue and green spatterbacks in the double glow. (note these seem to get better as it got brighter out).

Hope this helps.

GUN

Wow I'm so glad you mention that I don't need the Light line setup....man I was beginning to think that if I didn't have a light line setup that I wasn't going to get a bite at all...Dan Keating makes it sound so convincing too, but I'm apt to believe that the right fly flasher combo and spoon combo is going to bring them in to the boat...I'm not going out to purchase any light lines rods or reels for that matter, I have to use wha tI now have and put the big ones in the freezer. "The Boss" has set a qouta for me at like 28 fish..man the pressure is on now for sure... but I think I can do it, once I buy the fishfinder and probe...

"The Boss" has set a qouta for me at like 28 fish..man the pressure is on now for sure... but I think I can do it, once I buy the fishfinder and probe...

I hope thats for one weekend. :D

I would hate to have a quota of 28 fish and be done after one weekend. :(

I "mostly" run 20lb test on all of my rods. After the sun is high above, and if the bite is tough, I will break out the 8' "barbie doll" rods. These are medium light rods spooled with 15lb test.

I run 15# for my spoons and 20# for my flashers off the riggers. I have a 12# setup and it is a blast to catch fish on. I use it after the sun comes up. I also like to use an SWR after the sun comes up. There are a lot of good ideas out there. The main thing is to develop a spread that you have confidence in. If you are confident that the spread you have out will catch fish then by all means leave it out. You can try tweaking things such as leads, spoon sizes and other details to trigger a bite. The main thing is to find fish. If you are on fish, chances are you will be able to get them to bite.

I am a light tackle fanatic so that comes into play on all my setups I got to a point in my fishing where just reeling them in has less and less meaning to me. If I had the time and budget I would be chasing line class records but I don't however I still stay on the light side where I can. Don't get me wrong I have 30lb Ande on my heavy downrigger poles though they will likely get swaped out to 25lb this year but as I look into new setups I try and obtain better balance between rod reel and Line. If the reel and line don't match the rod you will have problems. This is why the info is on the rod blank exceeding the line class on a rod can cause it to fail using too light a line on a rod will cause failure to the line as the rod will not give enough. Also many do not look at the drag specs for their reels a lot of great reels have a drag range of about 1/2 the expected working line strength so many of the 20 series reels have a workable drag range of 7 to 10 lbs 30 series reels have a drag range of 10 to 15 lbs etc. So when I see a setup with a 8ft medium action rod and a 20 series reel spooled with 30 or 40lb braid I see a problem on it's way. As you have a rod designed for 17 to 20lb line a reel designed for 10 to 15lb and line rated for 30 or 40lb you tell me which part will fail first? So again I am a light tackle nut on a lot but I am much more concerned with overall balance as all three parts have to work together you can't just take the wire off your wireline and put on 12lb and call it a light line setup. You could use a 12 lb leader but odds are you will have some problems with it. So do some research and find what will work my new light line setup for this year is 8 1/2 ft medium light rods rated for 15 lbs Okuma CL 30D reels rated for 7 to 10 lb drags and 14lb mono this gives me a high capacity reel that will match my line choice and a balanced rod that also works in the chosen line class. I hope the result will be a blast to catch fish on.

My light-line rig is a Daiwa Sealine SG 27LC with 12# test on a 8' Berkeley M-L Power Rod. It seems to work well. I've caught a few 15#+ fish on it with no problems. The tip is real flexible but it has enough backbone to steer the fish at the back of the bone if need be. The drag is nice and smooth, also. I've got about $115 into the whole setup.

I will most likely be purchsing more rods in the late future, but not this year, unless I can get a great deal on them. I had them but traded them in on my new Wire line rods...although i know they had 25lb test on them, not that light if you ask me..they were as I recall Diawa 30d's reels, can't tell the rods though.

Robert every good rod manufacture labels there rods with info as to length action and rated line and lure weight such as this Okuma rod CP-DR-762ML ML 7'6" 8 ~ 20 2

which is a Classic Pro Downrigger rod 7ft 6in 2 section medium light action 8 to 20 lb test rod. Or this one CP-C-862MH MH 8' 6" 12 ~ 25 2 which is a Classic Pro Copper or leadcore 8ft 6in 2pc medium heavy action 12 to 25lb test rod. So pay attention to what the rod blank has printed on it because a correctly balanced 20 dollar rod will out perform a poorly setup 100 dollar rod. I have a hard time getting my wife to understand why I need more fishing poles but she is starting to get it figured out as I hand her differant setups to fish with.

Well, I'd love to check my rods, but they are 20 miles away in my boat, and it makes me want to cry....but I am going to heed your advice Jim and take a looksie when I pick up the boat April 1st.......GOD that seems so far away..

Sounds good Robert it took me years to pound it into my thick skull that there really was a differance between rods other than price. But all rod blanks are built for a purpose often rod builders will offer several varations of the same rod blank by moving eyelets and changing handles and reel seats and each one will fish a bit differant even though they all start with the same blank.

I read both the Keating books last summer. My last trip out to Lake O, in September, I brought along a couple 12# setups. It was a tough bite for everyone around. I figured it was a good time to test the light line technique. We had great success with them. I very much believe it made all the difference in the world. Several of the kings were over 20 pounds and one around the 28 pound mark... had no problem controlling the fish with the 12# test. Much better fight too. You could feel every movement of the fish. I will have a couple more of those setups this year.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday, though very sick... I studied the Rod and reel specs for each rod, I was looking at a light line rod 8'6 15-20lbs line application. I wasn't even getting excited about my trip to Gander Mountain, because I have a lousy freakin cold...from my grand kids... imagine that.. I was looking at a Shimano Rod, with an Okuma 30d reel. I was also dream biulding as well........ it's always nice.