Rod limits.

Yes there is. As is right now when targeting salmon and trout on the great lakes you are allowed 3 rods per licensed fisherperson, and 2 rods per person in all other fishing situations. As of April 1st 2009 it is my understanding it will be 3 rods per license on all Michigan waters...Should be fun when fishing piers...:eek::lol:

It will be nice to troll with 3 rods targeting walleye, when things are slow, and I only have 2 or 3 people onboard. Most of the time we have a tough time keeping up with two rods per angler. I can run 12 rods max pulling 8 boards, two rods off the sides, and two rods on the riggers. Even with 4 or 5 of us onboard I doubt I'll try to get more than 10 rods out. I will have twelve, 20 series line counter set ups, that I can deploy if the situation is right. Sometimes less is more, so it depends a lot on conditions, crew, fish activity, etc.

Bluedevil is right untill apr 1st it is 2 rods per person max of 2 baits per rod for all fishing except Trout and Salmon on the great lakes. For trout and salmon on the great lakes you are allowed 3 rods per person 2 baits per rod. The problem has been that lets say you are trolling for salmon running a legal spread and you pick up a walleye you by rule have to throw the walleye back as you are not running a legal spread for walleye fishing. The new rule simplifies our rules as you can now run 3 rods to fish for any species after Apr 1st and you can now keep up to 5 Salmon per person ending the issue of being able to tell every species apart trout are still max of 3 per angler. But if you can't tell a salmon from a trout you should not be pushing the limits issue. There are a few places where the 3 rod rule will cause issues like on the pier where there is limited space as is and I think a gentlemans agreement will work to solve issues in those places.

I assume you're inquiring about the Great lakes surrounding Michigan. In the New York waters of Lake Ontario & Lake Erie, each sportsfishing angler is allowed to run two lines, with or without rods. Each line is limited to 5 baits/lures. Each line is also limited to a total of 15 hook points. (a single NYS treble hook has 3 points)

This is a carry over from years gone by. Sportsfishermen, especially open water trollers, don't fish without rods, which is only one of many reasons we're trying to get the NYS law changed. Others include economics, exploitation, fish dispersal (Please see Lake Ontario forum - 3 rod rule thread)

hello.

is there any fish limit per license ?

From, http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364---,00.html

Great Lakes, L. St. Clair, St. Marys R., St. Clair R., and Detroit R.:

5 in any combination, but no more than 3 of any one species (UP TO

5 pink salmon allowed). EXCEPTION: St. Marys R.: 5 additional pink

salmon allowed from last Sat. in April - Sept. 30.