Chicken Gizzards

caznik

Hello Members,

chicken3anilgif.gif

Well my dad just made it back home today from butchering about 50 chickens this morning. What I like to know is? Is there anyone on here that knows how to smoke up chicken gizzards. If you do please let me know so I can smoke em up for my dad.

Thanks,

Caznik

roosterwalking.gif

• 2 weeks later...

When you find a recipe I hope you'll post it. I love chicken gizzards but I've never smoked 'em. Maybe I'll give it a try & let you know how they turn out. I've got a pretty good idea but won't post till I've tried them.

• 3 months later...
Nobody has given me one yet. :(

Caznik

I'm workin on it. I smoked 12 chicken legs & thighs this weekend but didn't have any gizzards to throw in with it. The legs & thighs were the best chicken I ever had. It was the first time trying it. I can't wait to do another batch. I'll use the same process as the legs & thighs for the gizzards. Yum!

• 2 weeks later...

Well Caz, I tried the first batch and think they were in a little too long. They came out like jawbreakers. Tasted good, but too chewy. The second batch I did a little different. I parboiled them in water, onion, parsley, celery seed, & just a pinch of oregano. Cover them with the water just enough to almost cover them. Boil for 20 min., then remove from water and allow to cool.

Put them in a large bowl or zip bags and cover with a 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of Kraft zesty italian seasoning and apple cider. Allow to marinate overnight.

Preheat smoker and get it smokin good. I used hard maple.

Smoke for about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs. Keep checking them with a fork about every 20 min. after the first hour so they don't get overdone.

Let me know how they are.

PS: I used the hearts too. They'll get done a little sooner. Oh yeah, when you check them just brush on some more of the mixture to keep them moist.

• 2 weeks later...