Braid vs Wire line

It seems that most people dragging lures for 'eyes are using wire line. As you'd expect, all the information being shared on the radio doesn't do much for me, since my dipsey rods are spooled with 30 lb. cotton braid. Can anyone tell me how much of a difference there is between wire and braided line as it relates to the amount of line out to get to desired depth? Thanks.

It seems that most people dragging lures for 'eyes are using wire line. As you'd expect, all the information being shared on the radio doesn't do much for me, since my dipsey rods are spooled with 30 lb. cotton braid. Can anyone tell me how much of a difference there is between wire and braided line as it relates to the amount of line out to get to desired depth? Thanks.

I can not give you an answer but i have another question touching the same topic.

I have always used mono when trolling dipsies, but for the first time i have been thinking of testing braid.

I think i will go for a bulk spool of 1500 or 3000yds power pro, but i have no idea what lb test i should use.

What do you all out there use when running Dipsies off braid line?

I have been thinking of 40 or 50lb test.

/Kjellzen

I can not give you an answer but i have another question touching the same topic.

I have always used mono when trolling dipsies, but for the first time i have been thinking of testing braid.

I think i will go for a bulk spool of 1500 or 3000yds power pro, but i have no idea what lb test i should use.

What do you all out there use when running Dipsies off braid line?

I have been thinking of 40 or 50lb test.

/Kjellzen

With the bigger fish that you have the opportunity to catch, 40lb test might be a better recommendation?

Wire all the way for us. Braid collect fleas pretty badly and can foul up the works fairly quickly. Wire cuts through the fleas and will allow us to get our Walker Deeper Divers down as far as 120' deep or more. We run 30# 7 strand stainless from AFW. We buy it here: http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/lee.htm

You'll never get mono that deep, plus the stretch of mono makes it pretty difficult to get the diver to release.

From what I have heard, read and experienced, the biggest difference between braid and wire is the "signature" difference between the two. Each line you pull behind the boat creates its own "signature"... mostly in the way of vibrations, though some people say the wire gives off a small electrical disturbance as well. I don't know about the electrical charge, but I certainly believe in the difference of vibrations. Some days it seems the wire dipseys are the only thing the fish want. Other days it seems the wire shuts the fish down. I have and use both braid and wire dipsies. Honestly, I catch more fish on the wire, but I also have more confidence in it and therefore probably (subconsciously) run it smarter.

The wire itself will sink, whereas braid doesn't. This will cause some difference in how far the diver will go. However, if you have a lot of line out for deep trolling, I wonder how much difference there really is... the wire has more drag than the braid, so maybe they even out at some point?? I have never tested it. When I run them, I run them the same distance out. I catch fish on both at the same length, so the difference in depth must not be too great.

There are others hear with way more experience, but this is my take on it.

As far as line size... I run 30 pound wire and 30 pound braid. But, I also am the guy using 12 pound mono on my spoon rods for the riggers. I've landed a good share of kings between 25 and 30 pounds on these setups with no problem. Its just a matter of having the drag set right.

Good luck.

Seems like I messed up with the initial question. What I'm trying to find out is if there's any significant difference between the depth that Dipsey Divers run when using wire as compared to 30# Dacron. Any ideas?

Hey fellas..

Is it just me? I believe that Ron is asking about "old school" Dacron...Not braid... If so, there is a HUGE difference. Wire will dive MUCH deeper than the dacron. Braid.. (IE: Power Pro, Spider Wire, etc..) is much closer in depth potential. The signature, as stated in a previous post, is much different.

If I totally read this wrong, forgive me please! Just tryin to help a little... :grin:

Medic -

That's exactly what I'm talking about All of my Dipsey Reels are spooled with Cabela's 30# Prestige Dacron. I knew it was sort of "old school" when I got it, but thought that Dacron had very little stretch. So far, I think I'm right about the stretch, but I have no idea how the Dacron affects the depth my Dipseys will run. As a general rule, I increase my depth by around 10 - 15 % than people that are running wire line. There are times I get lucky, and there's times I should have driven to a local bar. The walleye where I fish are seldom below 55 feet (usually right above the thermocline in the summer months). I just want to do everything I can to get my spoons just above the depth they are suspended. I know that the Big Water Edition of Precision Trolling may help, but I was hoping someone would be able to guide me a little bit from experience.

Very few people run dacron for dipsey's anymore. I only run braid (Cabela's Ripcord) or wire. The wire achieves deeper depths with less line out than the braid. There is very little stretch in braid, but none in wire. I learned this the hard way running wire on 1 side and braid on the other. The wire hit bottom. I can't help you with the dacron dive curve.

Ron,

That's what I thought. I have no idea about the dive curve for dacron. The most I've used it for is backing. Have you run any of the super braids? If not, give them a try. You only need 100 yds or so on each reel and the rest can be backing (dacron?? ;) ) I think if you run the braid (with a much smaller diameter) You'll be very impressed and hooked on it immediately.

Good luck.

I switched over to superline last year and love it.I just picked up a 1000yd spool of 30# Ripcord in Cabelas Bargain Cave for $39. Using it for my dipsies and backing fo core.Pretry good price compared to other braids and have heard nothing but positive comments about it.;) Wish i could help on depth curve of Dacron:confused:.

we've been running 30 lb. fire line on our dipseys for several years now with zero complaints as far as strength or being able to get deep enough (have bounced them off the bottom in 90 fow,with about 200 ft out,set on 2)the only complaint that i have is that when the fleas are bad they do collect on the fire line.other than that i wouldnt have it any other way.