Spoooons and their best working speed.

Hello!

Could you please type down a few lines about your favourite spoon and the best working speed for this spoon.

Here in Sweden we mostly use Mag and and standard sized spoons so feedback and reviews for Mag and standard sized spoons is what i would like to read.

Northern King seems to be Scandinavians favourite spoon (alot because we don´t have any other brands), the mag sized is being trolled between 2.2 to 2.9 knots. some with flashers but also many without flashers.

Now let me hear how you do it, this will help me finding new spoons that will work together with the brands i already use.

I mainly run Silver Streak lures in both mag and regular sizes. I run the mag's any were from 2.3-3.0mph (which would be about 2.0-2.6 knots) and the standard's at the lower end of those speeds.

I have not ran many Northern King spoons so I cant really compare the two, just always preferred the Silver Streaks.

OK are we talking down speed or surface/GPS speed? I usually like to start around 2.5 mph GPS speed. Then I adjust from there. I don't have any loyalty to one brand of spoons. I think that Stingers run better than other spoons at slow speeds because they are so light. The Moonshine spoons seem to run better at higher speeds but they are very heavy. I also run a lot of Dreamweaver spoons. They seem to be very speed tolerant. I do have some Northern Kings and they seem to be speed tolerant like the Dreamweaver's. Very similar spoons in my opinion. I am also going to try running some of the Pro-Kings that have been sitting in my box this year. I was told that they are very good spoons but I never ran them because I have no confidence in them. Now that I know they work, maybe I will keep them in the water for a longer period.

OK are we talking down speed or surface/GPS speed? I usually like to start around 2.5 mph GPS speed. Then I adjust from there. I don't have any loyalty to one brand of spoons. I think that Stingers run better than other spoons at slow speeds because they are so light. The Moonshine spoons seem to run better at higher speeds but they are very heavy. I also run a lot of Dreamweaver spoons. They seem to be very speed tolerant. I do have some Northern Kings and they seem to be speed tolerant like the Dreamweaver's. Very similar spoons in my opinion. I am also going to try running some of the Pro-Kings that have been sitting in my box this year. I was told that they are very good spoons but I never ran them because I have no confidence in them. Now that I know they work, maybe I will keep them in the water for a longer period.

:yes:Pretty much the same as Nick has said. Never ran many NK's until the 2007 WMFL event with the NK package. They did very well for us. Had to sharpen every hook though.

:yes: Had to sharpen every hook though.

MM i think they used Eagle Claw hooks, I never use standard hooks.

As a former Mustad "Hookmaker" I have enough hooks for trolling till i reach 150 years. I was also sponsored by Mustad back then and did some field testing of new products and project hooks.

I usually troll from 2.4 to 3.5mph. Mostly use 3 3/4" and 4" but will sometimes run mags.

I run a mixture of Northport nailers, Dreamweaver , Silver streaks and just started using Warriors this year.

I find they all run fine at this speed and they all catch fish.

Here are some of my favorites

md_k82_blue_mahi_glow.jpgmd_k65_glow_tiger_roughy.jpgwl_018_wart_frog.jpgdw_1367_42nd_spoon.jpgwl_62_wild_hog.jpg

Al

I run a mix of flutter type spoons mostly around 2.7 MPH, but will fluctuate from 2 - 3.5 MPH. With under water currents it is most important to check the speed at the ball.:) The under water currents can cause different lure depths to run differently.

OK are we talking down speed or surface/GPS speed?

Oops, guess I should have clarified that in my first post. I always go by my probe speed. Actually I use a combination of 3 things--#1 is my probe, #2 is blow back on the riggers and bend in the dipsy's, and #3 is GPS speed. All three of those things are constantly in the back of my mind when trolling and I take a mental note of all that when a fish hits so I can duplicate or adjust if need be. I am a speed freak when trolling:lol:. It has to be just right and if its not catching fish I am constantly playing with the speed.

Nick,

When we going to Higgins...:D Sent ya a pm awhile back about it. I might try and get up there wed or thur.

Have any of you heard of Flintstone spoons?

I have a lot of those on hand along with some Dreamweavers.

What i am looking for is spoons that will work together with my NK spoons and my Silver Streaks. Someone mentioned that DW and NK have approx the same speed range, is it the same with Flintstones?

/Kjell

I fish Stingers. Stinger spoons are probably the most speed tolerant spoon on the market. They are a light weight spoon and can be trolled slow, or fast. They can be trolled slower than I can get my boat slowed down. Generally I troll around 2.7-3.0mph on a gps.

Have any of you heard of Flintstone spoons?

I have a lot of those on hand along with some Dreamweavers.

What i am looking for is spoons that will work together with my NK spoons and my Silver Streaks. Someone mentioned that DW and NK have approx the same speed range, is it the same with Flintstones?

/Kjell

Yes. NK and Flintstones are very similar. I think you can add Silver Streaks to that same class too.

The Wife bought me a Magnum Flounder pounder yesterday........Is she trying to tell me something?????

I don't know, but if it glows, it goes...... in her bag and then into the tackle box.

Edited by Boltman
words we're stuck together....don't want that...

• 2 weeks later...
I usually troll from 2.4 to 3.5mph. Mostly use 3 3/4" and 4" but will sometimes run mags.

I run a mixture of Northport nailers, Dreamweaver , Silver streaks and just started using Warriors this year.

I find they all run fine at this speed and they all catch fish.

Here are some of my favorites

md_k82_blue_mahi_glow.jpgmd_k65_glow_tiger_roughy.jpgwl_018_wart_frog.jpgdw_1367_42nd_spoon.jpgwl_62_wild_hog.jpg

Al

Hello!

What you say is that run a mixture of Northport nailer, DreamWeaver and Silver streaks and they all works good at the same range of speed?

And according to Paulywood, the Northern Kings will also work in the same speed range.

Good to know what will or might work together, but at the same time have various spoons for all kind of speed and conditions.

/Kjell

I fish Stingers. Stinger spoons are probably the most speed tolerant spoon on the market. They are a light weight spoon and can be trolled slow, or fast. They can be trolled slower than I can get my boat slowed down. Generally I troll around 2.7-3.0mph on a gps.

Well i got to test some Stingers then.

Too bad we aint got them here. At least not yet..

/Kjell

I only mentioned my general trolling speed.

The slowest I can get my boat down to is 1.7mpg with two bags out. The stingers will work at this speed.

Just to add to the concensus, I also fish a wide variety of spoons, with Dreamweaver, Stinger, and Moonshine being my most used spoons. I start with a speed of ~2.5mph(at the ball) and keep an eye on currents, blow back, and, very simply, if we're catching fish. I'll adjust from there. Dreamweaver and Stinger do seem to be very speed tolerant and I've caught fish at a wide variety of speeds using these lures. The Moonshines tend to like a faster speed, 2.5-3.5mph.

It seems as though there was a post about a year ago that some people, if they find the right conditions/water temp at the surface/etc, will really speed up thier trolling speeds. I've never managed to do that with any success, but some do with a lot of success.