Home-made rod holders

Has anyone made bird tree's or rod holders from pvc? Do they holdup? I have put a tree together [holds three rods] seems like it will work,i used 2 inch pvc and it fits nicely over my adjustable aluminum holder,and i spent only about 10$ bucks. After i paint them i'll post a picture! Ps its o.k. To laugh but i kinda like the price!:D

I have a buddy that has duel rod holders made out of PVC for his cannon downriggers that have lasted him many years. As for the cold weather factor would using a harder PVC, like schedule 40 or something, be better or worse?

On a side note and speaking of Cannon riggers and plastic, my very first riggers were brand new Cannon manuel Uni-trolls and I had nothing but problems with the plastic parts on them. Duel boom mount rod holders broke once, boom tip broke twice, even had the plastic housing break once right were the boom connects to the housing and dang near lost 2 poles, split right in half. Most of these issues was in early spring when temps were cold. Sold those and went with Big John's.

We almost lost a dipsey rod 4 years ago in the Dreamweaver when my friends homemade schedule 40 dual rod holders broke. Good thing we had tied them off with ropes. He now has aluminum ones. However, I know someone made a whole arch out of schedule 40. I'm not sure if he ran rods out of it or just used it to hold them. I know he ran it in the Brown Blast last year with no problems.

those are beuties frank nice work! i dont think i'll run dipsies off my home-made,but i'm hoping i can run 2 core rods off from them,i am gonna use a teather on all holders this year for the ride in and out of the lake. last year i bounced a full core combo right out of SCOTTY ROD HOLDER AND INTO THE LAKE!

I have added those 6" elastic cords to ALL of mine, that way I can put the hook on the reel and I don't worry about it leaving the boat.

They have them at Wal Mart for around $3 for 20 of them. Nice little bungee cords.

Come in a bottle, saved my rods more than once in the last couple years

On a side note and speaking of Cannon riggers and plastic, my very first riggers were brand new Cannon manuel Uni-trolls and I had nothing but problems with the plastic parts on them. Duel boom mount rod holders broke once, boom tip broke twice, even had the plastic housing break once right were the boom connects to the housing and dang near lost 2 poles, split right in half. Most of these issues was in early spring when temps were cold. Sold those and went with Big John's.

Goood morning USA!

The problem you explain here Bluedevil is what made me switch to Scotty electric downrigger.

I must have had ten cannons and experienced problems on all of them.

Problems with the boom, main reel on almost all of them cracked.

The swivel base where the release pin runs into the base cracked.

So far i´ve had 16 electric Scotty downriggers and have never had any problems at all, not even the smalles little issue have i had.

That's why I like my Big Jon's. There is hardly any plastic at all. Solid aircraft aluminum. No issues.

That's the way I would go. I fished with Big Jons and like them the best.:)

I have Cannons on mine, because they came with the boat. Cannon used to replace any of the parts that broke free of charge. Since they have changed hands, if you are NOT the original owner and have proof of purchase, you pay$$.:(

What I don't like about most riggers is the small depth counters. I used to fish with manual Penn Fathom Masters, and you could see the depth from several feet away. My line counter reels have the same size numbers that the riggers have.