Years of Salmon Fishing Experience  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Years of Salmon Fishing Experience

• 0-1 Year
    • 2-4 Years
    • 5-10 Years
    • 10-20 Years
    • 20+ Years

I think I have every body beat- my first year was 1959 Kodiak alaska where I grew up until I moved to michigan. I just recently moved to longview wa right on the columbia river where some of the worlds best salmon and steelhead fishing is found. Oh by the way season starts in 2 weeks getting the boat ready

I think I have every body beat- my first year was 1959 Kodiak alaska where I grew up until I moved to michigan. I just recently moved to longview wa right on the columbia river where some of the worlds best salmon and steelhead fishing is found. Oh by the way season starts in 2 weeks getting the boat ready

Good to see you post again Kuz. The Saginaw Bay walleye were so glad to see you leave, they have been jumping in my boat for joy.:lol: Y'all come back now. I'll give you a call one of these days.:)

Although I have been on several charters through the years, my first full year of salmon fishing on Lake MI was last year. Thanks to all the help from this site even the first year was very good.

I was one of the very first maniacs who draged his 12 foot boat with 3 horse motor down the North side rip rap rocks, between the coffer and main Dam at Tippy in the fall of 1969, and snagged some of the first returning Cohos. Me and my step brother limited out in about 1 hour while tied to the dam face support wall, while both dodging others and using our own heavy weighted treble hooks they used to call salmon spiders. This was just the begining of what was a very bad idea from our DNR that snagging was the only way that salmon could be caught once entering the river systems, as well as the devistation that snagging had (and continues to have) on our stream and rivers. :angry2: I'm sorry I was ever a part in such wasteful and destructive carnage.

Edited by Walleye Express

• 2 weeks later...

My first experience on the big lake was back in the late 70's. My dad had a 14ft aluminum with a 20hp evinrude. My dad sold that in the mid 80's and then bought a 89 24ft Rinker. I knew when I got off the big pond and came home I was buying a boat for myself. I bought a 19 1/2 silverline in 96 and recently upgraded to my present boat a 24ft sea ray sorrento. This will be my 4th season with this boat. My first fish caught was a brown about 18 inches I believe back in the late 70's. I was hooked no pun intended ever since.I haven't really got serious about trolling for salmon until the last 3 years. I finally will have my boat rigged the way I always wanted it this year. Pretty excited for spring to come:D

• 2 months later...

I caught my first Salmon when I was about 12 years old, my first steelhead when I was 5, that was 1951, I grew up in the great state of Washington and we had great Salmon and steelhead fishing back then. Started fishing lake Michigan in about 1974 and fished a lot until about 1985 then took a hiatus until 1995 and got slowly back into it.

:)SUPERTRAMP

aka Mike

I competed against the Rev Modish who won the 1st ESLO derby on Lake Ontario a long time ago. He won a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 5 Lb salmon for his church. As I remember something like only a dozen salmon were turned in as people just didn't know how to catch them. My brother won a door prize.

• 6 months later...

I started in 69 when you pulled long lines with a tadpoly or flatfish. I fished the runs on the rifle river for a few years then moved up to the UP where catching coho was the norm. Then I moved back down to the rifle river area again. Now I am fishing back in the UP probably will stay until I get planted or tossed overboard. I caught my first salmon at age 13 and at 14 I took my first nice steelhead which by the way was netted by Fred Bear. I remember that one the most of all of the chromers that I have caught.

most of you have me beat,only been at it ten years.started out on the big manistee river and never looked back.i am what you would call a salmon addict.i even got married on the beach in manistee then threw my new wife in the boat and went out for a limit of kings.:grin:

• 8 months later...

I started fishing Lake michigan jigging the gaps for Salmon last year, a blast on light tackle. a year later and 30grand lighter , I am addicted to it , and my wife Janice is addicted to eating it. Now I fish 2-3 times a week, still cant get enough.

• 1 month later...

Having the luxury of growing up with my Grandparents owning land along Rock lake in Lake Millls. We were able to leave our gear in the boat till the next day and just jump in and go. Most fishing was for gills. That was back in the mid to late 60's. 4 yrs ago purchased a boat that was set up for big lakes. A freind convinced me to take it out and have been hooked ever since. I new that once ventured out I would be hooked. I had been on a few charters and loved every minute. Friends keep telling me that a charter Capt. is in my future, cause my lines don't get a chance to drown.