Pick My lure.

Nailer

Ok, so my boy and I are bored. We washed and dried all the spoons in my box.

We sorted out all our favorites and set them aside. These are the ones that are left over and rarely get ran (It's mostly a confidence thing). While I have tried all of these at some point, most where not given a fair shake. Take a look at them and tell me if you see any that are must run spoons. My box is overflowing and I need to thin it down.

_-5.jpg

Thanks,

Ken.

1 9 28 would be decent on a 5 color or less

18 and 24 mid depth on full core or riggers

20 and 25 on a SWR on overcast days

I would do like I do keep em all then you won't have room for new spoons and can save money for beer and gas. Every year I clean out my spoons as they are over flowing every where and every year I replace all the ones I took out with a few more I really think I could catch fish the rest of my life with what I got. Sadly what you have there is a collection that probably set you back between 120 and 160 and will bring 20 buck or less on Ebay most of them will catch fish if you use em.

11, 12, 18, 23

The Glow Screwball (#11) is a killer for me at low light. The NBK (#18) is good on a fullcore all day. If #12 glows it is especially good. And as Matt said, that Glow Half Frog can be killer. I can vouch for all of those in my boat.

I would not get rid of 4,9,or 15.Number 4 is a great 5-10 color bait.Number 9is one of are best all around baits fish on core of all sizes and on our deep riggers.If i only had one choice i would keep number 15 we always have one on on evrey trip great 3-10 bait good on mid range riggers and great on wire in the spring 90 to 135 back .Number 15 is our top tournament bait and it catches all 5 of the fish. best for kings and steelhead and works well in the mud on a 3 or 5 color.Also number 1 is great in may on any rod.

Oh the #17 BITE ME ELMO has to stay, you never know when you'll have onboard a wee little one that has to pick a lure and for sure it will be Elmo that has to get washed, the bite me Elmo has lots-O-good JUJU and Mo-Jo, but other than that, bite me Elmo has no fish catching abilities or value but it does prove that no matter what kind of color scheme the lure manufactures make it will catch a fisherman's attention and lighten that said fisherman's wallet, as for me the jury is still out and i do not own one, but looking foreward to having one and adding to my collection of lures i own and never put out on a line!!

1 is hot in may on anything

3 is great in mid summer on longcore12 or 15 also on a deep rigger

7 is as good if not better that 3 and was good for me last year from mid may the aug.

12 is good for me on a full core

18 is alway good on any core from 5 to 15

and 23 is my all time faverite on a corner rigger down 50 or deeper

I run #18 in the last hour of light from a Dipsey every trip!

If Mixed Veggie goes, #14 goes out.

#26 was one of my hottest spoons '06.

I run #23 on a 7 color at first light.

#20 has been good for me in late July.

#12 & #13 can be good too.

I have some fishing buddy's that swear by #1 & #30, but I can't buy a fish with them.

I know close to half the spoons in my box have never seen the water. I thought I would stop buying more once the box was full, but it has slowed me down.

I took a lot of the light colored spoons that I seldom washed, and super glowed them. The fish can't seem to tell If they are the store bought glows or not. I did the same with several light colored Js.:) My balls even glow in the dark.:lol:

I took a lot of the light colored spoons that I seldom washed, and super glowed them. The fish can't seem to tell If they are the store bought glows or not. I did the same with several light colored Js. My balls even glow in the dark.:lol:

WHOA way to much information there Frank.....:rotflmao:

That is a really good idea though. Instead of selling spoons that dont get much use and loosing $$, just upgrade them..:)

I took a lot of the light colored spoons that I seldom washed, and super glowed them. The fish can't seem to tell If they are the store bought glows or not. I did the same with several light colored Js.:) My balls even glow in the dark.:lol:

What method did you use Frank? and where did you get it?

I have a bunch of dw and nk lures that the paint fell off from.

I agree with most of the guys that many of your no users are excellent spoons,but i personally don't have a spoon on the boat that i would throw over the side on any given day any spoon will catch fish,in fact i have a Budweiser (red&white) spoon i run once in awhile,caught a fish on it once.musta been drunk that day when i asked myself "so what spoon ya gonna buy today" but i would have to say that bloody nose with the spots is one of my favorites

What method did you use Frank? and where did you get it?

I have a bunch of dw and nk lures that the paint fell off from.

First you need to have white or very light colored paint on the lure. If you notice the super glow lures like Moonshine are mostly white in color because white reflects the light best. I used the green glow powder in a mix with some brushable lacquer. mix about 3 or 4 parts lacquer to 1 part powder. It takes about 3 coats of the mix and one coat of just the lacquer over top. The stuff dries in less than an hr. Here is a link for the powder. The powder is expensive. Some people try and put the powder in paint. Yes it will work in paint somewhat. The problem with putting it in paint, is a lot of the powder gets hidden behind the paints pigment particles. You get the max results using it in a clear medium like lacquer. The reason I used the green powder because it has the longest glow time of any others.

http://www.glonation.com/Products/GlowPowder/GlowPowder.html

Thank for all the reply's guys. As far as the NBK go's, It's a lure I've put many-many miles on with out much luck. I bought two of them back when they where hot. I bet I have at least 20 hours of down time with them, with only a fish or two. That being said, and with so much good response from all of you, back in the box it go's. Every year at the Grand Rapids Fishing show, I stop by the manufactures table and let them pick out there favorites/best sellers (I buy 3 or 4 from them). the trouble I have is, when we get to fishing 3 months later I forget what lures they said where good.

This year my boy says we should keep a log book on the boat (I think he may have a good point there).

I'm going to make notes of the suggestions and give all a try this year.

Thanks to all.

Ken.