MMC cards for gps

I am looking to upgrade my MMC card for my gps's. I have a Lowrance lms-240 gps on the boat and a Lowrance ifinder H2O handheld that are currently sharing a Freedom Maps MMC card. I would like to get something that has depth contour's for both inland and Great Lakes.

I am leaning toward either Map Create 7 or Lake Master maps. Anyone use these. Pro's/Con's??

I am looking to upgrade my MMC card for my gps's. I have a Lowrance lms-240 gps on the boat and a Lowrance ifinder H2O handheld that are currently sharing a Freedom Maps MMC card. I would like to get something that has depth contour's for both inland and Great Lakes.

I am leaning toward either Map Create 7 or Lake Master maps. Anyone use these. Pro's/Con's??

Matt, I'm running the Lake Master Pro chip in my H2O and the Navionics Gold in my mounted GPS, both are good, but I think the Lake Master Pro is a little more detailed, and I can swap between both units at will.

I am running the Lake Master in my Lowrance LCX-111C. One thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if its a setting on my unit, but the depth lines from around 100' and deeper show up in a lighter gray. I would prefer they are all the same color, as the gray lines are harder to see.

I have found I like my Lake Master chip better on inland lakes than the big lake as Mike stated the detail is often hard to read in deeper water. Perhaps due to constant changes in lake MI and size of the lake they may have left out some of the deep water detail. All in all it is a great chip and does a great job for me.

I can not comment about the other inland lakes, but Muskegon lake is very detailed.

I can still read all of the depth contour lines out deep. I will contact Lake Master and ask them about the lighter lines out deep.

I run mine in split screen mode when fishing and adjust the screen sizes depending on where I am if I am in 50 ft or less I have the plotter larger to watch for detail changes. Esp if trying to follow contours for Browns be cause I am usually fishing tight to the bottom and it is easier to follow the contour lines than to react to the fishfinder depth changes. In deeper water I tend to run the plotter zoomed out and in a smaller screen which gives me less detail but a better view of my over all track and position. That way I can see my marks and way points well in advance and plan any needed changes.

• 2 weeks later...
Esp if trying to follow contours for Browns be cause I am usually fishing tight to the bottom and it is easier to follow the contour lines than to react to the fish finder depth changes.

Frank,

Just how accurate are the contours to do this? I cant say how many times I have almost run up onto sand bars when fighting fish. Buy the time the depth finder alarm goes of and the boat reaches my "pucker factor" range, the bow of the boat is nearing paint loss..:eek:

This would especially come in handy with rookies driving the boat.....See that 10' contour line on the GPS? Follow it but stay outside of it..;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got my taxes back and I pampered myself by ordering the Lakemaster Pro Map..:D Kinda bumbed though cause I ordered it on Mon and spent the extra $$ to have 2nd day air so I could have it for a Higgins trip on Thur but the company I ordered it from did not submit the order until this evening so UPS tracking is showing a Thur delivery now....:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Frank,

Just how accurate are the contours to do this? I cant say how many times I have almost run up onto sand bars when fighting fish. Buy the time the depth finder alarm goes of and the boat reaches my "pucker factor" range, the bow of the boat is nearing paint loss..:eek:

This would especially come in handy with rookies driving the boat.....See that 10' contour line on the GPS? Follow it but stay outside of it..;)

JIM

I was just rereading this thread and I have no idea how or why I called you Frank....:o Sorry about that...:lol:

Well I got a chance to try the Lakemaster chip out on a local lake here and the depth contours are way off. I was told on another forum that most of the smaller lakes are from 80 year old surveys. The bigger more popular lakes are more recent surveys so I hope those are more accurate.