Spillway Fishing Q & A.

I wanted to know if anyone has fished cold water winter fishing below spillways. I would be very thankful of any and all info and advice given.. thanks Mitch Fricke

Keep your lines wet, Mitch Fricke

Mitch.

Spillways are my favorite spots to fish, especially during certain times and certain conditions. When the water is fast during brief melts or during the coldest shallow/slow water times during the winter, concentrate on the first deep hole down river from the spillway or any others in that first 2 miles or so. But preferably start at that first sharp or tapering corner. Quarter cast the whole length of this hole or slot with a jig and minnow offering. Be meticulous and cover the whole hole from it's top to it's bottom. Walleye can and will pocket up in tight current breaks areas during this time. Hop the jig and minnow offering slowly and let it set for just a hair longer then you usually would. If you hit a fish concentrate on that spot for a while. Even let the jig and minnow lay there on the bottom and simply shake the offering. That gets those savvy fish to commit. Good Luck.

IM000596.sized.jpg

5_9_03Titt_6.jpg

IM001234.jpg

Ken.

I've done 4 shows on the Tittabawassee starting with the first one with Fred Trost back in 1986, when Bob garner was still co-host of that show. Even took Fred to catch his very first Saginaw River walleye through the ice on a show the winter before. Then 1 with Bob Garner after he left Fred and took over Michigan-out-of-doors with M.U.C.C., when Abby Burk was he first camera lady and co-host. Then 2 more with Jenny Olson and Gabe, when she was the Co-Host. 1 before and 1 after Bob retired. It takes a lot of years to learn where and when to fish that river Ken, so don't feel to bad about the skunk. Also did 2 shows with Claudia Hitchcock and James Ford out of my drift boat on the Pere Marquette for salmon. All damn good people. Fred was a different story. But he's dead now and no sense in kicking the grave stone.

Dec_12A.sized.jpg

kings2.sized.jpg

Ken.

I've done 4 shows on the Tittabawassee starting with the first one with Fred Trost back in 1986, when Bob garner was still co-host of that show. Even took Fred to catch his very first Saginaw River walleye through the ice on a show the winter before. Then 1 with Bob Garner after he left Fred and took over Michigan-out-of-doors with M.U.C.C., when Abby Burk was he first camera lady and co-host. Then 2 more with Jenny Olson and Gabe, when she was the Co-Host. 1 before and 1 after Bob retired. It takes a lot of years to learn where and when to fish that river Ken, so don't feel to bad about the skunk. Also did 2 shows with Claudia Hitchcock and James Ford out of my drift boat on the Pere Marquette for salmon. All damn good people. Fred was a different story. But he's dead now and no sense in kicking the grave stone.

Dan I couldn't agree with you more. The people MUCC got for there show have always been Class Acts. It started with Bob and has kept pace seance.

The show I recall was most likely the second of the bunch, around 87 or 88.

Fred-Well!, Fred was Fred

Edited by Walleye Express

Dan I couldn't agree with you more. The people MUCC got for there show have always been Class Acts. It started with Bob and has kept pace seance.

The show I recall was most likely the second of the bunch, around 87 or 88.

Fred-Well!, Fred was Fred

Ya, know. I forgot about one show I did with Bob and his Brother-in-law. And it was the first one after Bob left Freds show. I didn't remember it because it was the only one that I did not get a copy of from the show. Bob was catching fish after fish on that show. That had to be the one that hooked you and your uncle.:no::angry2: