Looking to build a team

1mainiac

Since CAZ has posted his scheduale and Mike is rolling on getting his lined up for the season. I had trouble doing tournies last couple seasons cause I have no real team I have some family and friends that are willing to fish with me but I end up with all the expense. Simply put I don't have the funds or the teammates to compete all out. I have a pretty good setup and should be able to fish with the best. So I will lay out what I have and see if any one is willing to try this with me.

BOAT

1989 Four Winns 267 Quest 26ft walk around 260hp OMC Cobra with full canvas on a trailer. Depth Raider, Lowrance LMS 525C-DF fishfinder chart ploter with chip, Garmin GPS76 as backup, I am converting to Hyd steering the winter and hope to have a Auto Pilot this spring. Back of boat is open flat floor with wash down. 4 electric down riggers 16 rod holders 6 inline boards also a 6 ft dual mast board setup. Boat is Coast Guard legal insured and ready to fish and can be towed to pretty much any port budget allowing.

GEAR

18 rods 2 SWR 2 braid 2 wire 2 5 color 2 10 color 2 copper 6 rigger. Mostly Okuma gear but it works and is all less then 5 years old. Hundreds of spoons J Plugs and Flies can put down nearly any color combination. Dipsey's flashers pretty much everything needed to fish is here but have room if you want to bring your favorite setup as well.

ME

Well the boat name pretty much covers that I would fish 24/7 year round if I could. I have fished on Lake MI since the late 60's was in the Coast Guard Res from 76 to 80. I can handle the boat and the weather and know when to get in. What I can fish in may be more than some can handle so I will never force anyone to stay out if they are scared. Vote of the crew always wins for me. Well to be honest if the fish are hitting I might ask to suck it up for a little longer but hey never had anyone complain about the weather when fish were biting. Treat me and my gear with respect and I will do the same for you and yours. 2 years ago I felt the only thing keeping me from doing well on the tournament scene was my boat and equipment solved that with my wallet last year but could not crew and fund all the events I wanted to fish in. Sound like something you are interested in let me know perhaps others can get together in this thread as well and maybe we can trade trips with some of the guys on the east side.

Thanks Joel will be in touch after the Holidays. This Thread is not just about fishing tournaments it is about meeting new friends and fishing together. Most of us come to this site for similar reasons to get a report ask a question share a idea. As we read the other reports and ideas it is easy to consider that it would be cool for us on the west side to trade some trips with the guys on the east side. When I look back on my season I realize how many times I fished shorthanded as did several others so I thought this year I would do more than just chat with guys here I will try and fish with some of them.

Tight Lines

Jim

• 2 months later...

Well it is getting nice out and I am getting the bug to hit the water. The Boat is still in the barn till next month. I have had several guys respond to my offer actually enough to have a overcrowding problem. Well sort of I have fished with more on the boat but it gets tough to move and seating is limited. What I am thinking is haveing a get together at my house on a Sat and inviting everyone. This will give me a chance to meet all the guys who have responded and see how well well all get along cause I prefer to fish with friends and as my wife point out all the time I have very little tact. My problem is I am honest and straight forward but worst of all I am not politically correct. I actually say what I think when asked so I can take some getting used to. So my wife suggested I come with a warning label that state opinions expressed by her husband are not that of the management. Right now my plans are to fish in the GLFTT events and the WMFL events so I don't expect large budget commitment from anyone. I would love to get into some of the bigger tournies but really just want to have fun and fish.

Edited by 1 MAINIAC
spelling

Well it is getting nice out and I am getting the bug to hit the water. The Boat is still in the barn till next month. I have had several guys respond to my offer actually enough to have a overcrowding problem. Well sort of I have fished with more on the boat but it gets tough to move and seating is limited. What I am thinking is haveing a get together at my house on a Sat and inviting everyone. This will give me a chance to meet all the guys who have responded and see how well well all get along cause I prefer to fish with friends and as my wife point out all the time I have very little tact. My problem is I am honest and straight forward but worst of all I am not politically correct. I actually say what I think when asked so I can take some getting used to. So my wife suggested I come with a warning label that state opinions expressed by her husband are not that of the management. Right now my plans are to fish in the GLFTT events and the WMFL events so I don't expect large budget commitment from anyone. I would love to get into some of the bigger tournies but really just want to have fun and fish.

i am in jim.... lol as long as we dont have any more accidents ;) lol

Jim, A couple of years ago I had the same problem. Using this and another fishing web site, I was able to pretty much keep my boat seats full, all Summer long. Being retired I fish about as much as most charter boats.

Three things must be in place. #1 Make it Safe #2 Make it fun. #3 Get lots of fish.

I have a phone # list on my PC that I update frequently. I have a couple of guys that will be on most of my trips. It's very expensive owning a trolling boat, and the related gear. It's appreciated when you have 3 or 4 others willing to pick up that days expenses. The captain should never have to reach in to his pocket, when you have a couple of others onboard. The exception is when you have kids or students along. They may do what they can to help. It's also nice, when you have at least one of the crew that will help out or is at least willing to learn. I will never leave port without at least, two adults onboard.

You may get some that have their own agenda, and can be very disrupting. The disrupting individuals get scratched quickly from your list. They can mess up a trip, and not even realize they are doing it. I'm sure most of us here, have had people like this onboard. I'm sure even Charter Captains have had people onbaord, that made for a very long day.

Some are just along for the ride, and you have to deal with it. These folks are better than the disrupting individuals, but you will get a work out. Some will not be capable of steering the boat or setting a line.:)

You will have some that are extremely capable. These crew members can be given a few bits of information, and maybe have them set up a side.

I posted this for two reasons. #1 To give potential crew members an idea, of what is expected of them, on Jim's or any non charter situation. Even if you are helping with expenses, make yourself useful, and be a valued crew member. You are fishing @ a fraction of what a charter would cost you.:) #2 To give captains trying to set up a crew an idea of what to expect.:) After a year you will have a list of phone numbers, and when you call they will reply, "when and where". :)

No problem Jay you are on the my fishing list I have been working on a safety program for you so you don't hurt yourself. At the moment it likes like a Hockey Goalie uniform with a flotation, LOL. On a second note I see the south pier had guys fishing on it today so I am going to get my cart together for Steelhead and get my butt over there a few times this week.

Jim, A couple of years ago I had the same problem. Using this and another fishing web site, I was able to pretty much keep my boat seats full, all Summer long. Being retired I fish about as much as most charter boats.

Three things must be in place. #1 Make it Safe #2 Make it fun. #3 Get lots of fish.

I have a phone # list on my PC that I update frequently. I have a couple of guys that will be on most of my trips. It's very expensive owning a trolling boat, and the related gear. It's appreciated when you have 3 or 4 others willing to pick up that days expenses. The captain should never have to reach in to his pocket, when you have a couple of others onboard. The exception is when you have kids or students along. They may do what they can to help. It's also nice, when you have at least one of the crew that will help out or is at least willing to learn. I will never leave port without at least, two adults onboard.

You may get some that have their own agenda, and can be very disrupting. The disrupting individuals get scratched quickly from your list. They can mess up a trip, and not even realize they are doing it. I'm sure most of us here, have had people like this onboard. I'm sure even Charter Captains have had people onbaord, that made for a very long day.

Some are just along for the ride, and you have to deal with it. These folks are better than the disrupting individuals, but you will get a work out. Some will not be capable of steering the boat or setting a line.:)

You will have some that are extremely capable. These crew members can be given a few bits of information, and maybe have them set up a side.

I posted this for two reasons. #1 To give potential crew members an idea, of what is expected of them, on Jim's or any non charter situation. Even if you are helping with expenses, make yourself useful, and be a valued crew member. You are fishing @ a fraction of what a charter would cost you.:) #2 To give captains trying to set up a crew an idea of what to expect.:) After a year you will have a list of phone numbers, and when you call they will reply, "when and where". :)

Thanks Frank I tend to be pretty easy going and I don't ask much of my friends when they fish with me. I have worked hard for what I have and am blessed to have a wife who is ok with me doing it. I am even better off than many cause most days she will be right there fishing with me which is very cool. Last year she only complained about one issue and that was why I had been taking friends fishing for free when it was costing us a ton. As she pointed out several of my friends would meet us at the launch and we would have a good time fishing with them but when we got back to the launch they would take their gear and fish and go home. A lot of times I would give all the fish away as I fish a lot and have plenty. On the way home we would stop and fill the boat ( this part sucked last year ). When we get back we sort gear and clean and get it ready for the next trip. Once the boat is put away we are done for the day unless we have fish to clean.

I love to fish and enjoy fishing with friends we compete with each other and work as a team at the same time. I understand some have more to offer than others in terms of skill but I think most anyone with a good attitude can offer a lot. There were many times I just needed a extra body with a license cause the wife and me were boxed out way too fast. God I miss that nothing better than being back at the launch while others are still trying to leave with a box full.

No problem Jay you are on the my fishing list I have been working on a safety program for you so you don't hurt yourself. At the moment it likes like a Hockey Goalie uniform with a flotation, LOL. QUOTE]

lol those would make some funny pics for the site lol

• 1 month later...

Guys I have not forgotten anyone honestly I did get more response than expected and I am going to try and fish with all that responded. It took a little longer than palned to get the boat out of storage but I am finishing a few things up this weekend and getting it wet. There are 3 weekends coming up so I am going to try and mix things up a bit and see what everyones sched is like for the GLF and WMFL tournies this month. Mikes get outing and tourny at Fishermans landing sounds like a great place for everyone to get together at one time and see what all our heads come up with for a summer scheduale. I am going to send out a few PMs and see what everyone has planned for the next few weekends.