Copper backed spoons

Off season topic to calm my nerves by at least talking about fishing:D

I have never really seen an advantage to copper backing when fishing for coho's or kings. I'm wondering if anyone has had days where in your opinion copper backs made a difference in your catch? I'm also interested to see if you have difficulties finding copper backed spoons. Thanks!

I have never fished for salmon with copper spoons, so I can not comment on that.

I'm also interested to see if you have difficulties finding copper backed spoons. Thanks!

Stinger offers all of their spoons with 6 plating finishes.

Gold

Gold Hammered

Silver

Silver Hammered

Copper

Copper Hammered

You will probably have to do a special order if you would like them in copper.

Salmon primarily eat Alewives which in various light cond appear in many colors. As such I have long beleived that color selection was fairly low on my list of go to things. My goal has always been to run as many setups as possible and vary my spped and depth within a given temp range. Some days they will seem to pick a color and pattern and only hit that, when I see that I like to put more of them down. Other days they will grab one setup then another and so on so there is no way to pattern them as the seem to be just grabbing whatever is closet to them. Then there are days when they hit the entire spread all at once. On a 8 rod setup mixed with spoons plugs and flies 3 of us landed 7 Kings in 45 min. There was no time to reset anything just try and see who could get theirs in fastest so they could grab one of the other rods that was banging. So for my nearly 40 years out there fishing between Holland and Frankfort I don't have a single must fish this setup. I have dozens of setups that all work and depending on light cond and water temp and depth seem to dominate certain cond. Copper colors to me seem to work best in mid light cond overcast days right after sunup or right at sundown. In dark I like chrome and glow's maximize flash and visability. Bright clear days I go with blues and greens. But if I have 3 or 4 people on the boat I will run any and or all of the combinations.

A few years ago I was fishing Rogers City and a buddy convinced me to buy this spoon...

235_G.jpg

Of course I only bought one cause I said "that thing's not going to catch a cold." Well that evening we could not keep the fish of that spoon.:(

I still have that spoon today but it has never been a "hot spoon" since that day. I have caught fish with it since then but I could run it all day and it might take a fish.

I have also tried other spoons that are copper backed and yea I have caught fish with them but they are not my goto spoons. When fishing is slow they are usually the last thing to go in the water just before the kitchen sink..:grin:

One of my best producing spoons this year on Erie for walleye's and bow's was a silver streak #352 copper kevorkian. For walleyes we ran it 5' off the bottom in 60-80 FOW.Also worked well on Lake Ontario for bow's but did not find it increased my catch of salmon.

Al

we found that copper with red,orange or glow on them do very well for lake trout in the spring.We have a few proto type jp slammers that we did very well on we even got a few kings on those spoons.they are ment to mimic gobiies and i think in the sring time the fish are on the gobies cus there isnt that many alewives around yet. Just my 2 cents worth. jimmy

Fish wisper is correct. If you look back over the years and when cow bells were used and still are for targeting primarily lake trout, copper was the one color that was the base color for most combonations. Now in the river copper is very deadly for steel head as I have caught most of my trout out of the st. joe and the kalamazoo and Manistee on copper and orange. I have also hooked up alot of coho on copper late March into April as I have researched this in the past and found water clearity has to do with the contrast of copper depending on the time of year. Darker water copper is going to look more silver under water then clearer water. Dark cloudy days copper has been very successful over the years.

Copper plated spoons are almost entirely used as Walleye Spoons on Lake Erie. We used lots of Hammered Copper Stinger Spoons the last few years, but have slowly gotten away from them. We still do use them when in the "muddy water" in Grand Haven, due to the murky water color and conditions. Otherwise, the lake is becoming so clear, copper spoons are becoming a thing of the past in the open blue water.

• 1 month later...

Hi, one week-end in early jaly last year out of Port Darlington on Lake Ontario, nobody was catching anything and we brought in a mixed limit of Kings, Steelies and 2 nice browns. All of these were caught on a Dreamweavewr super slim area 51 spoon with a copper back. A pro from Quebec that was out to film a video for TV, used one of my copper back area 51 spoons the next day and did real good also.

The rest of the season, the spoon still produced but not on a regular basis. I always keep one in the water on a high diver and I will be looking for some browns near shore with this spoon next spring. I guess that copper most work better on a cloudy day, that's was the case on that july week-end last year.

Denis