whitefish tonight

So I went whitefishing tonight with Waterfoul and 1 MAINIAC out to Muskegon. The fish were there and we were really catching them. Then I jerk back and scream "oh my eye!". I had snagged a fish and was going to just hoist it up by the braided line when the hook popped out of the fish and yes... lodged itself in my eye! Lucky for me it "only" got into my eyelid... but two hooks were thru to the barbs. Well waterfoul and jim rushed me out of there (thank you to all of you who helped carry our gear to the car... if any of you are on this site). We bumped into a couple of DNR officers on the way out and the younger one about freaked out!! He was more tramatized than I was!!! Anyway, once we got to Hackley they brought me right into the E-room and set about trying to get this 3/4 oz Castmaster out of my eyelid. So they (waterfoul, couple nurses, doctor, and a cute EMS trainie) are all standing there looking at it wondering how to get it out. Another nurse comes in with... get this... a Leatherman!!! Yes, you read that right. A Leatherman!! I about stand up out of the bed and leave the hospital!!!! Waterfoul almost fell down laughing. "No way are you using a leatherman on me!!" I yell!!! A few minutes later the doctor returns with a really cool looking hand cutter... seems he "borrowed" it from the Operating Room. One good snip and the hook was cut... then he backed out the two hooks that were caught and put 3 stitches in. Time from door to door was maybe a half hour. Nice job by the staff at Hackley, except for the leatherman guy!!

Anyway... check it out...

hookineye.jpg

What a night is all I can say I got a ticket for expired plates on my truck heading down to the pier earlier to meet Jay. Don't know how I could have forgotten plates on my truck I think it got lost in the mail He said he could not beleive it either cause I have been driving every where for 6 months with expired plates. Then Jay calls and says they are gonna be later than I thought so I went and fished for a while by the sub with no real luck snagged a couple and got a call to deal with a problem and went home guys were saying it was over and there was not much of a crowd. was finishing up with my phone calls and Jay calls and says they are on their way I told him I was at the house but would at least come down for a bit. I was just gonna go say hi and hang out for a bit when Jay calls me and says they are slamming em so threw a rod in the car just in case. Met them at the Coast Guard station and the fishing was going strong so started fishing everybody is getting fish and I keep foul hooking them and shaking them off The I get one legally hooked and was so suprised I just looked at it and it shook loose. A min or so later Jay has one get off and the spoon flew up and caught him in the pants he made a joke about getting one in the eye and went back to fishing after hooking and losing a few more Jay gets a nice one on and leans over to pull it up and it came loose. He stepped back and yelled my eye I tought he was still joking around for a couple sec then realized he was not kidding. It looked real bad in the dark with just flash lights and head lights so we got all the stuff together and headed him for the hospital. The DNR get a better look and did not think the hooks were in his eyeball good news and Jay could still see even better news. He called me on his way home from the hospital and told me about the leatherman and said if that was all they had we could have done it at the peir and still been fishing. I allways try to make a fishing trip with a new friend one to remember I doubt we will forget tonight for many years. Jay was a great guy to meet and I doubt we will ever have a more memorable fishing trip however we will be the ones wearing glass's next time on the peir. Jay call me anytime you are ready to fish I will be happy to fish with you.

Tight Lines

Jim

Edited by 1 MAINIAC
poor grammer

that looks VERY PAINFUL, on a side note did you guys bring any fish home

we caught almost 30 fish with 4 being "legal" in about an hour and a half (we got there about 830 and this happened just after 10) the spoon in my eye was the HOT TICKET! got 2 back to back 3/4oz kastmaster in gold! i wanna get back out tonight if anyone is willing to go

the 4 that where kept were given away to other fisherman!

And yep he just called to see what time we could meet tonight and do this again well everything but the hook in eye part. I did warn him last night on his way home from the hospital that if he had to wear a patch he was gonna have to fish with GLF next year on the pirate boat.

I did warn him last night on his way home from the hospital that if he had to wear a patch he was gonna have to fish with GLF next year on the pirate boat.

Arrgghhh....and we take no prisoners....Arrrgggghhhh

And yep he just called to see what time we could meet tonight and do this again well everything but the hook in eye part. I did warn him last night on his way home from the hospital that if he had to wear a patch he was gonna have to fish with GLF next year on the pirate boat.

lol they had to cut off my mask because the hook was in it so i went to gander and got some more spoons and a new mask.... big jay will fish hurt, cold, sick, it don't matter... and oh also i got some clear high spped boater glasses also.... don;t wanna lose my right eye!

Fishing with Jay there usually is some kind of excitement. Falling out of the boat, electrocution fish cleaning style, and now this. You fell out of the boat at "Whitefish" lake, you electrocuted yourself at Muskegon, and now you get a hook stuck in your eye whitefishing at Muskegon. Im beginning to see a pattern. Stay away from anything Whitfishey and Muskegon. Glad your ok!

Thanks for the update Mike I will add First Aid kit to things I need to bring along when fishing with Jay. LOL He was very carefull last night and the only blood spilled on the peir was from fish we had a great time. Oh yea there was a lot of fish blood in our area which is always a good thing to see. I love it when I have to wash down the blood on the deck while we are still fishing on my boat.

Tight Lines

Jim

Fishing with Jay there usually is some kind of excitement. Falling out of the boat, electrocution fish cleaning style, and now this. You fell out of the boat at "Whitefish" lake, you electrocuted yourself at Muskegon, and now you get a hook stuck in your eye whitefishing at Muskegon. Im beginning to see a pattern. Stay away from anything Whitfishey and Muskegon. Glad your ok!

Oh Mike.... you have NO IDEA!! LOL!!! Last night be broke a rod! Finally someone with worse luck than me!

By the way... get your truck stuck lately?? :lol:

I'm glad it all turned out ok. I'm glad the barb didn't get into you eye. Quite a few years ago, a buddy my boat on our lake to go bass fishing. He came back with a hook, barb included, through his eyelid and lodged into his eyes. He needed surgery to remove it and only had 75% vision in that eye now.

Oh Mike.... you have NO IDEA!! LOL!!! Last night be broke a rod! Finally someone with worse luck than me!

By the way... get your truck stuck lately?? :lol:

No Moi. I have not been stuck lately.. Im gonna be trying to see if I can get it stuck soon tho. I have towing insurance now. :D You down??

Terry,

No story I got my truck stuck, It happens to everyone.