well

DIRTY DOG

well how did every one do this past weekend with the gun opener in michigan

i tried to hunt saterday ,and with the loss of most of my private land to hunt ,do to out of state leases and farms getting sold , i was forced to hunt public land NOT MY FIRST CHOICE i live in the heart of the allegan state game area and now it very well , but could not find a place that i felt safe hunting do to the large number of hunters, i never got out of the truck till 7:45 am and only seen 2 small does and 9 hunters all day , sunday i did not go and sleeped in out of frustration ,tonite most of the people where gone and the big camps left for parts unnone and i had 1 deer 30 yards behind me but could not see it becouse of all the snow in the pines

sorry for the ranting ,so how did every one else do:cool:

I know your frustration. I live on the southern tip of the Allegan State game area and I wait to venture in there around muzzleloader time. Unfortunately my private land did not work out as well, no good deer to be had. I am heading north this weekend to try some rifle action I hope things get better. I have heard of several guys getting lucky this year with one big 11pt down near South Haven......I can't help but think of catching summer kings while trying to keep my fingers and toes warm sitting and waiting for luck to change this year..

Ended up with a 6 pt on opening morning about 745.:big_boss: Saw 3 other does before 8am and nothing from 8am-6pm:rolleyes: Waiting to get some pics. Nothing huge but my biggest yet. Saw 5 on sunday, a BB chasing 2 does and 2 running butts. Very slow year with few deer seen and lots of wind. A crap load of standing corn around the area could not have helped.:rolleyes: Oh well cant wait to head back up on Thurs!!:P

I saw a lot of deer but only 1 worth shooting. I shot a big doe opening morning. Probably saw 15-20 yearlings. I saw 1 buck sunday morning but it was far out of range. Everyone in my family got a deer this weekend. We are pretty lucky as we are able to hunt private land without having to pay. I won't be back out until later this week. With meat in the freezer I can be picky on what I shoot.

I did not see anything Opening morning. I saw 5(2 does and 3 yearlings) opening night, that came out of a corn field. I did not hunt on Sunday, and am not sure when I will get a chance to get back out.

i had a prety good opening weekend saw 8 does and fawns sat. morning and this 5pt. that afternoon.

5-pt.11-15-08.jpg

hunted west of big rapids on some state land with my brother and dad. also monday morning mt brother bagged a six point in the same area as i got mine. really surprised being a weekend opener there wasn't many hunters in our area figured it would have been a parking lot

well i got in the blind about 6:25 and waited till about 7:00 untill i seen my first group of does there was about 10 of them i watch them for about 15 minutes and then i seen a doe on a dead run about 150 yards in my south food plot i got my gun up and seen a BIG 6 or 8 i didnt see any brow tines and clicked my safty off and try to stop but i didnt so i put it on his neck and pulled to trigger and click the shell didnt got off so i got another shell in to the chamber and he was all ready gone. i seen about 40 more does and passed up 8 more buck(2,3,4) i wasent taking any thing less than a 6. but the comical thing was there was a mean old doe running the smaller bucks around all day im thinking that next sunday morning that she might have a head full of lead lol

Congrats to the guys lucky enough to score, it has been a weird season around here. Hunted private land north east of Hastings for the opener and saw 10 but they would not come near the woods. In the after noon took my son out on my property close to Springport and he had a chance at a nice 6 point but blew it. Saw one doe Sunday morning and that has been it.

Ended up with a 6 pt on opening morning about 745.:big_boss: Saw 3 other does before 8am and nothing from 8am-6pm:rolleyes: Waiting to get some pics. Nothing huge but my biggest yet. Saw 5 on sunday, a BB chasing 2 does and 2 running butts. Very slow year with few deer seen and lots of wind. A crap load of standing corn around the area could not have helped.:rolleyes: Oh well cant wait to head back up on Thurs!!:P

Deer.jpg