White fish in Muskegon

silver one

The East Tawas Pier and Oscoda on the Lake Huron side are good spots. Wax worms on a #6 or 8 hook with a light action rod, and 6# test line. Some small split shot above the hook and a slip bobber. A long handle net is a must. It's all about water temp but the runs seem to coincide with the rifle deer season. I think the water temps need to be close to 40 degrees. GL :)

I have fished whitefish in Muskegon a few years ago. Like Frank said it was during rifle season. I used a long rod and swedish pimples, and hopkins jigging spoons. I tiped them with a little piece of baby shrimp. A wax worm would probably work too. I fished in front of the Coast Guard Station. Good Luck.

I am going to go over to Muskegon next week and do a whitefish/steelhead trip. I'll probably head over around 3 am and fish for whities, then move to the surf and fish for steelies closer to dawn. If the weather is decent I will do it friday. If anyone is interested let me know. Maybe we could have a mini get together.

I'd like to do it next friday if the weather cooperates. My brother-in-law has fridays off and I owe him a trip for helping me with drywall. We'll check the weather next week. I would have gone this friday but it looks like there will be 5-8 ft. waves. That's a little to big to fish the surf.

my wife and i used to fish for them off the white lake piers and did pretty good in the spring right after the steelhead run we fished off the north pier right at the end around the rocks with wigglers a small single hook and a half ounce bell sinker off the bottom we used our steelhead rods

Ok here is the latest I went to Shoreline services and talked to Bill this afternoon he said they are getting a few by the Coast Guard station jigging spoons off the wall. Starting as it gets dark so I drove down and talked with a couple guys fishing there saw several fish caught and released foul hooked. Pre dawn Steelhead bite has been slow but guys are getting a few and yep the waves are solid at 3 to 5ft making a few splash's onto the pier. Did not see any boats in the channel I am gonna go down to the pier and try it tommorrow evening. I allways have heard to use wax worms but was told they are not biting just coming in to spawn so just annoy them with spoons and they will hit it. Kinda like Salmon in the river you just gotta throw the snagged ones back. Will report back tommorrow night.

Tight Lines

Jim

On the east side of the state they catch them on waxies and single salmon egges. But in Muskegon they don't bite? That has never made sense to me. I will probably try both as I have heard that the DNR will question the fair hooked fish if they have markes from being snagged by others.

alright...you guys are killing me...now im interested..you just park a boat in the channel and jig?just a regular hopkins spoon?or is bait the best way to do it..like franks way..with a hook and bobber and wax worm?

Actually they fish from the piers. Use a longer steelie rod with a sensitive tip. I am going to try a slip bobber with a glow teardrop and a waxie or single salmon egg. I will also bring jigging spoons. I know the slip bobber method is popular on the east side.

Ok I went for a while this evening not real long as wind is blowing big time. Last seen my hat was at about 50ft and climbing not sure what state it will land in. Fish are coming in but still very slow saw a couple legal fish and several snagged ones that went back in. Was not there very long about a dozen or so guys fishing when I left and several others like me came and decided not to fish in the wind. Waves were between 5 and 8ft on the big lake and 2 to 3ft inside the arms steady waves breaking over the south arm so no way I was gonna do any fishing there later so I came home. Will try again when wind dies down a bit but next couple days don't look to promising.

Tight Lines

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Been out to Musk. 3 times so far..... never failed to catch a bunch of biters. Been vertical jigging the new BPS Tungsten spoons... and we've been outfishing most of the other guys out there dropping Hopkins or Castmasters. I think the smaller size/equal wieght is a big advantage. We still get the snagged fish dont' get me wrong... but we seem to get more biters than most guys.