Black Flies

GLF

I went out with Adjusted3 and Heavy Action yesterday. Marks white outboard was completely covered with flies. It was a little cool and I had a jacket on the whole time. It did not take long after that for the flies to find my socks and commence in biting. They must have a long mouth or long teeth.

Whats the cure to prevent being bitten?

Whats the cure to prevent being bitten?

Pull lines and run full throttle.:D

Seriously though, I did have to do that one time in Rogers City they were so bad. Bug spray does not seem to stop them, just slow them down a little. Sun screen seem to work a little better but it is still not a cure all. I too would like to here form some of the other members here as to there methods.

I would recommeng getting Bens 100 repellant. It contains over 98% deet and it works. It is in a small orange bottle.

This is what I use when I am stream fishing up north,and I have not got bitten yet. Usually I spray it on my baseball cap and watch the wall of blackflys circle my head.

Obviosly some care should be taken when applying it, and never put it on the kids.

Those are stable flys and MAN can they bite!

The farther from shore you get, the worse they are too. After all you are the nearest land (and foodsource) in site to them.

Long pants and two pairs of loose socks seem to be the best solution for them. 100% deet is effective also but be sure to read and understand the health risks and warnings provided by the manufacturers.

Had 'em on the hull today!

I read some place I think, Dryer Sheets??????

Not only will the boat smell fresh, supposed to keep them away??????

Give them a try and let us know if they work.