Last 4 days

EdB

I've been hunting hard the last 4 days. Saturday, we took a local conservation legend to the duck blind. Martin is 83 years old and he still hunts a lot. Martin has built 100's, perhaps 1000's of wood duck houses in his lifetime. His design is unusual, he builds them from old water softner tanks. They are all over Jackson county. If you're around this area, you probably have seen a few. He has also banded loads of wood ducks in his lifetime. It was bluebird day and I wasn't expecting much but I was wrong. The duck action was great the first hour and we got 8 ducks for the morning. I bow hunted the evenings and no big deal, does and a couple yearling bucks. Back to the duck blind Sunday, another blue bird day and the ducks acted like it. We only shot 2. We chased pheasants on Monday. It was our worst opener ever and we only flushed one rooster out of range. It's kind of sad to the steady decline of pheasants in our area the last few years. I went to a wood duck marsh the last two evenings by myself. This is a honey hole on state land that doesn't get much pressure. Had some good shooting there and I got 3 wood ducks each night. Looking forward to Saturday AM and hopefully some ducky weather.

Nice job. Sounds like you had a blast the last few days. I bet ole Martin had a few good stories to tell out in the marsh. I was just working down around Jackson(Albion & Sturgis) yesterday. Went by quite a few pot holes, but didnt see any of his unique wood duck boxes. Next time down ill have to pay closer attention for his work.

Our pheasant opener was a bust as well. Never fired a shot, and only seen a couple birds. Our problem is corn though(I noticed most of your corn is harvested). Once its down, itll be on!...Cant wait.