Core Charge

GLF

I had to put a new altenator in my car yesterday. I paid a core charge for the new altenator and they taxed the core charge. I understand being taxed on the core charge. But.....when I brought back the core, they only gave me the core fee back and not the tax. :confused:

At Autozone you can rent tools, and they will give you your money back when you return them. I rented a tool for taking the tension off the idler, so I could remove the belt from the altenator. I had to pay a tax for renting this tool. I can understand having to pay a tax on this, incase someone does not return it. When I returned the tool, they gave me my money back plus my tax money.

Whats up with not getting back the tax money on a core charge? :mad:

It's a crock of BS. Another way for thhe goverment to stick it to ya. The last time I bought an altenator at Auto Zone I took the old one with me and they still charged me a core charge, taxed it then gave me the credit for the core but not the tax. I argued with them about the core charge because I brought the core with me, they said according to the law it was legal for them to do it that way. You can't win.

This is something the state of michigan has been doing for many years. i've been in parts sales one way or another for 35 years & it's been this way. i don't agree with it but it is the law. but how many times do they collect sales tax on an auto. and why do you pay the same price for license tabs as when the car was new? i could go on but you get the idea.

I was told years ago the core is a inheirent part of the rebuilt part as such it is taxed not really sure why the tax can't be refunded but it has to do with the core value not decreaseing. But this is all in MI tax code other states have even wierder codes like paying tax on the value of your trade in or paying tax on all of your property every year no matter how long you own it imagine getting your home appraised every year and including the value of all your stuff as well. My county appraiser in TX decided my 1973 Chrysler tri hull with a dead motor was worth 4500 bucks so I put it in the front yard and gave it away. While our state is definitly screwed up there are worse places to live not many when it comes to stupid gov but a few.

Jim

It's been that way for years. It isn't right, and I brought this point up with one of our legislators. Another point I brought up was the tax we pay on rebates. The Auto makers reduce the price of the car or truck through rebates, but we pay tax on the vehicle before those rebates come off. This is B.S. also. If you buy something in a store that is 1/2 off you don't pay tax on the full price. Why should we be taxed on the full price of an auto. This state just wants to sock it to you any way they can.