Outboard Auto Pilot Help!

What steering system do you have? That is the biggest deciding factor if you have Hyd steering you get lots of choices. If not your choices go way down I am converting my boat to Hyd steering this winter so I can put a autopilot on. I bought a autopilot with my boat this spring but Raymarine never delivered it so after waiting 6 months I told them to (well you can imagine) and got my money back. As such I will never spend a penny on any of their crap so I am looking at other systems I like the Simrad AP14H the price is fair and has good reviews. I also have been looking at the SITEX unit chk this site out they have decent prices. http://www.wmjmarine.com/auto-pilots.html

Tight Lines

Jim

JIM, "I am converting my boat to Hyd steering this winter so I can put a autopilot on."

did you look at the Simrad AP-14-R??? fits a rotary box and needs 10 inches of clearance behind the helm, still going to cost you $1500+ but you dont need to install the whole hydro stuff to get a auto-pilot, ive been wanting one for my islander and have been saving for it,

yep looked at it but would need to cut a hole thru the bulkhead and box it in so would have a box sticking thru the wall above the toilet. It mounts to the back of the current steering box so it adds more than 10in as you have to have room to work on it and to install it. Beleive me if it would fit I would be telling you if I liked it or not as had money sitting at boat dealership all summer waiting for the autopilot install I paid for. The guy who looked at my boat to install a Simrad ap14R said he needed 14in of clearance to install it I had about 7in to work with.

Thanks

Jim

JIM "It mounts to the back of the current steering box so it adds more than 10in"

a Simrad ap14R said he needed 14in of clearance to install it I had about 7in to work with." JUST trying to help and save you some $$$$!! NOT a argument......you REMOVE the old rotary box and and install a new rotary box with a drive motor and according to the simrad istallation guide you need 10in total.....can a hole and box work?? it would need to be 3-4 in deep......here is a link to the install giude i hope it will make little more clear on the install.....page 13 of the guide gives you the specs needed for the install http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en/Products/Leisure/Autosteering/Powerpilots-AP12-AP14/AP14-Powerpilots/Downloads/

I will chk again when I get boat back this weekend but the installer said it would not fit. I never rechecked as why would they not sell it to me if it would fit the money was sitting there all they had to do was install it and take home the cash. I do know it is real tight behind the dash but never actually measured it myself. I only need one more peice to have the HYD steering parts then need to install it.

• 2 weeks later...