Early last fall while picking up a few more Northland Mimmic Minnow bodies and jigs in the perch flavor, I seen the new (3 inch) Berkley Realistix Minnows in the handy 10 pack. They come packed with 10 seperate bodies, with 2 already pre-rigger with color matching 1/8 ounce jig heads in the pack. I've been a (Real Live Bait) guy forever when it came to river jig fishing. And Northland was the first artificial I tried the fall before, that had shown me that you can consistantly catch fall river walleyes on rubber. And with all the new VHS rules and laws, as well as good live baits scarce availabilty anymore, having a reliable fall back only makes good sense. So anyway, I picked up a package of the Realistixs in the perch pattern along with more mimmics. And even though I wouldn't call this test either scientific or conclusive I jigged with both (side by side) on my next trip to the river that November 10th day last year. I only did so the last 1 1/2 hour before dark, and at a time when the fish were first starting to come into the river. I caught 7 walleyes with only 3 being keepers and the picture is below. 2 of those 3 were on the realistix as was 5 of the 7 total.

But the realistixs charm also extended to more then just walleyes. These little rascles were killer, dead fished under slip bobbers for both smallies and whites this past spring as well. So when I seen that my local bait imporium had stocked some new colors, I went kinda crazy. I'm not sure this picture can do them justice. That white one with the chartreuse tail, is actually a glow in the dark that I'll be trying this coming season a few times after dark. And the Green one at the bottom you have to see in real life to believe. Those people at Berkley seem to have to much experimental time on their hands, and I'm glad they do. ;)

IM001752.sized.jpg

IM001543.jpg

Edited by Walleye Express

My thought exactly I am using the 3in SCM13-SMLT and killing Crappie and big gills with them on a beetle spin setup. I am gonna pick up a package of the 2in and give em a try this weekend on a inland lake where I have gotten a few perch while crappie fishing maybe I can coax a few into biting them they hit the wax worms on bobbers but the 3in baits might be too big so I will try some 2in ones. Dang now I gotta go to the bait shop.

Tight Lines

Jim

OK went to store and picked up a few of the 2in ones and put me together a small plastic kit will head to lake tommorrow afternoon and give em a try. They have some neat colors only got a few for now but may have to get several more if they work as good as planned. I sorted oneof my tackle boxes and found a bunch of differant soft plastics I have either bought or been given over the years so now I am gonna give a bunch of em a try this fall. Maybe can start saving money on live bait which is getting to be a pain to find espeacially getting minnows. Can't say how many times over the last few years I drove over to the bait shop to find they were out of minnows or did not have the ones I wanted everytime some one mentions getting a few decent perch all the bait dissapears.

Tight Lines

Jim

No reason why they shouldn't work. Has anyone tried any scents on them. :) Most of the plastics have some scent anyway. Anise is a popular one.

These particular ones are made by Berkley, so already have a scent added. It's not quit as funky as the Gulp products are, but do have a "WANG" smell all their own. :grin: I'm headed to the river in about 2 hours for some late afternoon jigging with the Realistixs, then some after dark trolling with some Raps and Huskys. Hopefully, I'll have a success report as well as some pictures tonight or tomarrow morning. :P