Air Compressor Advice

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on air compressors? I would like one that is able to run nail guns and impact wrenches. Would prefer something portable. I have been looking at them and they all give PSI ratings but I thought that impact wrenches and other automotive tools were guided by CFM? I want a compressor that is versatile. I'm in no hurry but will probably buy one before the end of the year. I've got quite a few projects around the house that will require a nail gun over the next few years. And I also like to fix as many things on my vehicles as possible. Thanks for your help.

Nick,

Dead on with your thoughts as to PSI/CFM. Any compressor you can run an impact with will run a nail gun, though you will want a regulator on the outlet probably....I have a small Saylor Beal that my father bought YEARS ago, I think they are in your local area too. I used it for most everything until I put the big one in the garage, not mainly use it out on the farm .... I thnk its a 1/2 horse and dont remember the CFM, but it will run a impact, just needs time to make up more often, wont run a DA, or sand blaster or any other High air flow tools. I would recommend staying away from the oil free ones... good luck and spend the money once, get quality and you wont be sorry.

That's kind of what I was thinking Wayne. Hope someone on here has some ideas. Saylor Beal is in St. Johns. We actually make the rings for their compressors. I'm just not sure how many CFM I would need to run air tools.

SCFM is also rated by PSI ie a D/A will use use about 11cfm at 90psi while most 1/2 impacts use about 6 to 8 cfm at 90psi a spray gun will use around 12cfm but at 45psi. The average homeowner can get along just fine with a oilfree compressor I have a 6hp oil free I bought at Sears 7 years ago and it still works great it has a 30 gal tank I have painted with it but you have to stop now and then to let it catch up. Also keep in mind that usually people buy a compressor that will handle most of their needs and then get the cheap air line which makes it not work well they are then sure the compressor is the problem. Take it from a lifetime of wrenching I could list all of my certifcations but that would take a while. But odds are I am the only person you will ever meet that has all the certs I have earned over the years. Air volume is more important than pressure for most applications very few tools are rated above 90 psi so remember you have to get the air thru the tool so buy good fittings and hoses and get a large tank so you don't have the compressor running non stop.

Jim

Take it from a Carpenter that most any thing will run the Nail Gun, but you will need the volume to run the Spray gun and impact. I would think 30 gallons would be about minimum. I am not a big fan of most Craftsmen stuff, but I do have a Craftsman Compressor that I keep in the garage that seams of descant quality.

I have a 6 horse 33gal craftsman it runs 1/2 inch impact just fine but its kinda on the not so portable side, the tank is big to be handily portable but it depends on how much you want to be lifting, and get a rubber hose I went cheap and bought a junk chinaman hose and it dident last long before it split on me

I went to Sear's to check on requirements for different tools and specs from the different air compressors. They had a 26 gallon compressor that was rated for 6.7 CFM at 40 psi and 4.3 CFM at 90 psi. I checked the different air tools and it seems that it should run pretty much every air tool except some of the orbital sanders and is borderline for a spray gun. Since I don't foresee a need for either of those I plan on checking out different compressors and finding the best deal on one with similar specs. Thanks for the help, guys.