Downrigger Cable or Braid???

This has been kicked around a few different places before, but I thought I would bring it up here. I have been using stainless steel wire for years. I haven't had any problems, but just wanted input as to your choice between braid or cable on your riggers. :)

I tried the braided this year....did not like it on the deep rigger cause when cornering it wraped around the shallow rigger...talked to Scotty about it and they told me that you lose 10 percent of depth over steel cable due to the fact that it develops a bow in it because it is so much lighter than steel

an the expence is twice what steel is...i will never use it again because it caused me more grief than any thing else

Special x

Frank, I've had it on my two out riggers. It first I thought it was good but, after a few (4-6) years it looses strength. I lost 3 balls before I gave up and switched it out. I believe what S.X says about it hooking the other riggers. We also trouble with that in deep water. Stay with the wire.

Ken

I've run on boats with SS and braid, the differences I've considered is the sound, ss wines braid is quiet, ion control or electricity flowing on the wire, I'm running Cannons with ion control so I have a positive flow down the wire, with the braid there is none. Depth, ss goes deeper with less cable than braid, yet ss comes generally in 150 foot spools and braid can goto 300 foot spools. Crossing wire is alot easier to seperate than the tangles of crossing braid. If your having crossing problems I'd look at running diverters ahead of the ball, that will eliminate any of those problems. I've run at 200 feet out and havn't had a problem after adding them. Just some input I've observed.

I ran braid on one rigger this year. I don't really see the benifit of switching to

braid. I do wish i could get thinner diameter coated cable for my depth raider

it has some serious blow back at times.:eek:

ELLIOT I don't know how deep you want to run your Depth Raider but mine will work good to over 100ft with regular cable. I switched back to coated cable this year but the blow back is so bad I doubt that 200ft of cable will get me much below 100ft dn. I am going to take the coating off the first 50 ft or so and I take the probe off if I need to run that rigger deep. I have tried several differant balls with very little success short of going to 25lb balls or putting motors on them to push em forward I am out of ideas. So now the probe spends more time in the box.

Tight Lines

Jim