muskegon lake

I average 10 - 20 trips to Muskegon every fall. We normally don't start till the water flips (some time late October or early November).

We fish them up until Ice up.

Two hogs that where released after photo was taken.

100_0354.jpg

My 12.75 that I got mounted

ken_fish_035.jpg

My sons 11.4 that went back.

Image1_edited-1.jpg

them are hogs ..do you mind me asking what you run ?or any tips

Don, This is not a big boat fishery. %95 of the time we slow troll the steep breaklines with a bow mounted electric trolling motor. We run the drops at 10-12'. The best drops are the ones that drop off directly to deep water. We rarely if ever fish during the day light. The fishing really gets good when the water hits 40 deg. Some of our best lures.

Picture007_edited-1.jpg

Casting these same lures over shallow flats can also be productive.

There are some guys that troll the river channel from The black Buoy down to the Power plant and do ok on the suspended fish during the day light.

Just about every break on the lake will hold fish at some point. The key is to find them ;).

Good luck.

We'll start some time around the first of November.

Ken.

• 1 month later...
what kind of speed do the walleye like?

We usually troll with the electric motor (so not to spook the fish in the shallow water) around 1mph. The hardest part in this program to learn is boat control. Most of the good breaklines in this lake go from 2' to 30' of water in the length of a boat. No planer boards or rod holders, just a rod in hand pumping and pausing the bait as you go by. There is nothing that compares to a big walleye smacking your bait, especially after 6 hours with nothing. You have to put a lot of time in, and most of it with nothing to show for it. It is not easy fishing by any means, but the rewards can be great!

Slow Trolling speeds and the "Pump and Stall" is both the speed and action that most cold water walleyes are looking for and relate to this time of year. The alewives and shad that come into both the rivers and connecting lakes at this time are there to avoid the colder open water expanses. Most of these tropical warm water species will die over the fall and winter, as the waters get even colder as the season wears on. We see thousands swimming together very slowly in schools near the surface on the river during our night time trips. So a slow roll trolling speed, with pumps and pauses thrown in with that specific action, mostly reflects these baitfish's own swimming action during this time of year, and is more than a decent walleye can stand.

I could not resist giving the walleye in the bottom picture a little kiss before I set her free. :grin:

IM000776.sized.jpg

Nov_11E.sized.jpg

Edited by Walleye Express