In-Line Planer Boards and Worn Pins

I run 3 inline planer boards per side while fishing. Recently I discovered people having problems pulling the pins to release the line from my boards. I inspected some of my boards and discovered a bad spot on several pins on my boards. Line gets caught in this groove, and prevents the pin from being pulled up to release the line. The red arrow points to the bad spot.

badpin.jpg

What causes the bad spot in the pin?

I believe the bad spot is caused when the front clip releases and the board sliding down the line. Friction from the lead core as it slides down the line cuts the groove.

Here is a picture of another used pin I replaced. You can see a groove starting in this one also.

replacement.jpg

I went to a tackle store and purchased a replacement pin. For $3.99 I got a new pin, spring, and clip. After I got home I got to thinking......same pin, same board, same clip.....probably same problem again.

I tend to be on the creative side, and got an idea for a replacement pin made out of stainless steel. So, I got busy at work and created this. The pins bottom out. The coating on the head is extra gripping.

glfpin.jpg

board.jpg

board1.jpg

I am refitting all of my inline boards this weekend with the new pins.

Maybe the pins dont need to be replaced.

Preventing the board from sliding down would prevent the wear. After I made replacement pins for all my boards, I got to thinking on what I could do to prevent the clip from releasing. Braided line backing frequently pulled out of the clips. I could prevent the board from sliding down by using rubber bands to hold the board in place in case the line releases from the clip. Those that have fished on my boat with my know that I like to run a "rubber bandless" boat. Instead, I opted to prevent the clip from releasing. I replaced one of my clips with an OR-16 clip. The OR-16 clip has a plastic pin in the center. Hopefully this resolves the issue of the clip releasing. I hope to test this out this weekend.

I use rubber bands to keep my boards from sliding down the leadcore and causing abrasion in the line and pins like you are experiencing and have my planers release with a Otter big jon plug style release. The rubber bands will stay on the line for quite some time before needing replacing, I just leave them on and reel them right onto the spool as well. Once in a 'very great' while they will get stuck on the reel but i've only had that happen maybe 2 times and its easy to break them off when and if that happens. I use the thicker style rubber band to. Just curious, but why are you so against rubber bands on your boat? I do like your metal pin creation too btw.

Yup definitely had that happen before, even though i dont have my boards release. I think the constant surging starts to saw into the pin if you use braided backer. Thats why i splice in a section of mono between my LC and Braided backer.

....Excellent idea with the S.S. Steve, that will definitely solve your problem. I wish Church tackle woulda never quit using the brass pins like they did on their original boards....Guess theyre not making enough on the boards themselves that they feel the need to cheapen them up so they can sell replacement parts.:rolleyes::no:..hate when that happens.:angry2:

I rigged up 4 boards with different front and rear releases before the season started but haven't used them enough to make a decision. I have the plunger release's on 2 and the OR 16 on one. I have found deficencies with both. I plan to keep experimenting. I do have a board with an OR 16 in the rear, I like that setup so far.

The rubber bands will stay on the line for quite some time before needing replacing, I just leave them on and reel them right onto the spool as well. Once in a 'very great' while they will get stuck on the reel but i've only had that happen maybe 2 times and its easy to break them off when and if that happens.

I fished on another boat that did this. I had rubberbands get stuck in the reel twice in one day while I was resetting lines. When the fish are biting, I want my lines reset and in the water.

Just curious, but why are you so against rubber bands on your boat?

I am a maintenance electrician in a pharmaceutical packaging plant. I get tired of following behind other mechanics who cobbled something back together instead of fixing it correctly. 9 times out of 10 the cobble job breaks again and causes more down time.

A rubber band is a bandaid for a problem. If you fix the problem, you do not need a bandaid! ;)

here is my no-slip fix...take apart the clip and remove the TINY plastic tab...rotate 180deg. and reassemble.....the line is pulled into the clip and not out of it. braid wont slip out and board will not come off and slide down and knock that monster in the head......

SSCN0199.JPG

when your done run your line like this......NO more bandaids/rubberbands!!!!!

SSCN0198.JPG

Personally, I like my boards to release when fighting a big fish and when resetting lines.

I guess we all have our own ways of doing things and they all catch fish. (I heard that somewhere before.:D)

Mike, wonderin if you might be able to part with about 6 of those metal pins tho.:)

When Church tackle boards first came out, that pin was made of brass. I've replaced those pins a number of time since they went to plastic.

Mike, you could probably sell a lot of those metal pins if they work. Let us know, I'd buy some if you time to make and sell some.

Boomerang, I like your idea too, I'll have to try that.

here is my no-slip fix...take apart the clip and remove the TINY plastic tab...rotate 180deg. and reassemble.....the line is pulled into the clip and not out of it. braid wont slip out and board will not come off and slide down and knock that monster in the head......

SSCN0199.JPG

when your done run your line like this......NO more bandaids/rubberbands!!!!!

SSCN0198.JPG

John,

Did you file off the small alignment pin when you flipped it around? Do the pinch pads wear from the braided lines?

mike, YES file or i used nail clipper and then filed smooth off the little alignment pin/tab. and the pinch pads will NOT wear or get torn up!!! try it on one youll see!!! works good last LONG time

Do you have issues with the clip twisting? Have you tried drilling a small hole for the pin instead of clipping it off?

Do you have issues with the clip twisting? Have you tried drilling a small hole for the pin instead of clipping it off?

I was thinking that same thing. Backwards clip is great idea. I had 2 older church boards that kept slipping and replaced clip with OR 16 clips and really like them rather than wrapping technique.

PS- Just got a board back yesterday from St. Joe that I lost almost 2 months ago, guy called me who found it 4 miles out. There are still some honest fishermen left out there :drinks:

Great ideas guys. I hate rubber bands as well. I don't like broken bands laying around or ending up in the environment.

It's too bad that we pay good hard earned dollars for a product and then have to make repairs and improvements.

PS- Just got a board back yesterday from St. Joe that I lost almost 2 months ago, guy called me who found it 4 miles out. There are still some honest fishermen left out there :drinks:

That is nice to hear. Does not happen often enough!

Some very good ideas. We all tweak our tools to fit our needs. In fishing, it's a lot of little things that add up to success. :)

I guess that's what makes this thing we call fishing so interesting. With winter approaching, I'm sure we will see all kinds of new things next season.

I just thought of something I can use as a replacement pin for my boards.

:grin::grin:

• 1 year later...

I can atest to this it works like a charm last year i was frustrated when the fire line backer i have on our full core kept pulling out of the clip so in desperation i thought what would happen if i turned this little deal here around backwards?? then after doing it before i set it out i was concened it wouldnt run properly because it does change the angle of the line slightly and to my pleasure it ran perfectly.

It is seldom that you can make improvements to your gear or spread and it costs you nothing so anytime you can do that its a major plus!

• 8 months later...

To make a groove in a pin chuck the pin in a drill motor. Use a small file to cut the groove. If the groove is wide use a 1/16 cut off wheel in an angle grinder to cut the groove. We did a lot of similar stuff on construction jobs but didn't have a lathe. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. Use what you have.:)