Went north to the lighthouse out of Ludington early Saturday morning. Put down a Kwikfish in color 585 Scratch in the large size, and before we could get the second line in the water the rigger tripped. Must have been a good sized fish, he broke the 30# test before we could tire him out. I ordered 2 more of the Kwikfish in the same pattern today. We lost another later in the morning on a Sling Blade Dodger in color Glow Rainbow with a Blue Dolphin spoon. Around noon we picked up a nice 7-8# coho on an Orange Crush spoon running off a half core of lead flat lined off the back of the boat. Around 3 in the afternoon we landed a 10# and a 16# king off Blue Spatterback Silver Hoard plugs. So we went 3 for 5 and had a wonderful day.

That 1987 Sea Ray Amberjack hardtop I just bought got it's first trip out, what a nice boat to fish out of.:grin:

It's funny you should ask, last week I read one of the posts where a new subtroll unit was installed and indicated about a .5 mph difference between the gps reading and the subtroll. I have been trolling at about 2.5 by the gps since I don't have subtroll and haven't been having much luck. I sped up to 3 to 3.5 mph and that seemed to make a difference.

It's funny you should ask, last week I read one of the posts where a new subtroll unit was installed and indicated about a .5 mph difference between the gps reading and the subtroll. I have been trolling at about 2.5 by the gps since I don't have subtroll and haven't been having much luck. I sped up to 3 to 3.5 mph and that seemed to make a difference.

The reason I asked was the flatfish type lures like Quikfish usually run best below 2 MPH. I have been experimenting with some large flatfish, to troll them faster. I have drilled some holes down the bill from the original hook up. I slip a bead chain swivel through the drilled hole and hook my line to it. I put a large split ring on the bead chain so it doesn't go all the way through the new drilled holes. The lower hook up point takes a little of the bite off these and allows them to perform better at faster speeds. Not many fishermen use the Quikfish lures in these parts. It is very popular on the West Coast. I know fishermen there that even fasten herring to the back of the Quikfish with rubber bands.:) The West Coast river fishermen even anchor in the river current and let them out, and the current does the work. I'm going to add some super glow stuff on some of mine. I got these for a buck a piece. I think they will work as well as any plug.

Edited by Priority1

I am new to fishing the great lakes this year, and so my knowledge is very limited, I just bought the Kwikfish because it looked like the shape would give a different look in the water, and the colors in the rattle version looked pretty good. I ordered more this weekend, and I hope to give them a try this coming weekend if they get here in time.