Cannon Temp & speed

Tom Thumb

I read on a thread of two people using Cannons Temp & Speed. devices. I have used the Fish hawlk for over8 years and I am fairly pleased with the unit but it has some draw backs. After sending it down over 175 feet my transducer is not tipped back far enough to make a reading. And if any water penatrates the unit it is shot.

I would like some information that I can not find on any web site yet on the cannons model. It states to read down up to 300 feet one must use coated wire. It makes sence but what is the diameter of this wire and where can it be purchased.

How is the information transmitted from the wire to the reciever?

Is the unit completly sealed? Completly water tight?

I find that there are older models out there that are not compatable with the receivers of today

What is the max depth that you had your units working?

Is the number of 200 hour on one battery acurrate?

What are the faults you have found with the Cannon model?

I am an electronics nut

From the Cannon Website

Cannon Speed-N-Temp Monitor

It's like having a spy in the murky depths. Now any downrigger can do more than just hold a weight at the end of a cable.

The new Speed-N-Temp™ Monitor from Cannon® has its own monitor for use with any downrigger on the market. Simply attach this informative accessory to any manual or electric downrigger and unlock the mysterious secrets of dark and deep trolling waters. The sealed underwater transmitter attaches to the cable of any downrigger just above the weight. The sensors on the Speed-N-Temp Monitor register the absolute depth of the lure and the lure¹s true speed as well as light intensity and water temperature at the lure's trolling location. These readings are then electronically transmitted up through the downrigger cable and digitally displayed on the Speed-N-Temp Monitor. Absolute depth of lure eliminates blow-back estimations and calculations that anglers normally must decipher. While the boat may be traveling at 2.5 mph, the lure may travel at different speeds depending on underwater currents.

With the Speed-N-Temp Monitor, true lure speed in tenths of mph can be adjusted by the angler providing optimum strike stimulation. A chartreuse and blue lure looks great in the sunlight but at a depth of 80 feet with filtered light the lure may look invisible to the fish. Speed-N-Temp Monitor measures light intensity and the appropriate lure color can be selected for the conditions at the trolling depth. Water temperature at the lure¹s depth is provided, crucial for tracking temperature sensitive fish. Using a standard cable, the Speed-N-Temp Monitor operates up to a maximum depth of 100 feet. A coated cable increases operation depth up to 300 feet. Speed-N-Temp activates when the speed wheel enters the water and automatically shuts off after 15 minutes of inactivity. A replaceable 9-volt battery powers the transmitter for up to 200 hours of operation. Battery voltage is also digitally displayed on monitor screen.

The use of Cannon¹s Speed-N-Temp Monitor will not interfere with downrigger features such as Short Stop, Positive Ion Control and Stacker Releases. The 7.2* square inch screen, with 2,300 pixels per square inch, provides an easy-to-read display of the transmitted information. Overall, the saltwater protected monitor measures 5 inches by 5.3 inches by 2.5 inches and can be easily mounted at any location on the boat. For the look of factory rigging, use the optional installation bracket and mount the monitor in the dash of the console.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I installed one of these units last year. The reception is great with standard cable down to about 75'. I switched to coated cable that comes with the unit and the reception has been great down to 125. I have not had any occasion to fish deeper than that. Regular cable will have reception down to 100, but it cuts in and out after 75'.

The best feature for this unit is the light intensity. This one feature has help me more than anything else in the boat.

A couple of drawbacks- the coated cable is smaller in dia. then regular downrigger cable. Hence the line counter will be off as much as 10% but you get a true depth on the unit.

The sensor is a sealed unit but the battery cover has an o-ring that needs to be watched. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Go snug and then 1/4 turn. To date, I have not had any issue.

The cable has to be ran thru a sensor spring that is mounted to the boom of the rigger. There is no quick disconnect and as a result the rigger and the unit, if removed from the boat has to be taken off as a package. When I trailer my boat with the fitted cover, I just remove the rigger and lay it in the bottom of the boat so that I do not have to disconnect the Cannon unit.

Plusses---

As far as the battery, it uses a 9v transister battery that will give you 200 hours of operation. The unit displays the voltage level in the battery so you know when it is time to change it.

You can run up to 6 riggers off this unit and display all 6. All you need is 6 sensors.

I did some research on all the units out there, from Moor to the new Raider and I chose Cannon due to the advanced features that it has. Some of the older unit did leak in the sensor, Cannon has since fixed this problem.

I am very happy with my unit.

Mark

You also mention that the monitor can be mounted any where in the boat. I need aprox 30 feet of wire from my downrigger to my dash. How much calbe comes with the unit.

Some one mentioned that all information is sent to the monitor thru coaxal cable. Is this true?

• 2 months later...

Ned,

I can get it but pricing is by e-mail only. Please send me an e-mail to Fishdogco.com

By the way. This is a bit of a catch 22 with Cannon. They sell 400 foot spools of cable. CAUTION though, their probe is oly rated to 250'. any deeper and the warrenty is voided. Implosion is posible beyond 250'.

We had this dicussion, Right Tom?

Mark

Mark;

Thanks for that info -- guess I'll keep the cable on that I have. It use to be 400' then I lost a bunch when I got it all tangled and kinked and just cut it. How much is left, I don't know. I guess I'll have to go out deep and start letting it out to see when it comes to the end.

Thanks again,

Ned

Yes you are absolutly right if the cannon probe is sent in and it leaks it will be determined to leak from mis use. Droping the probe or lowering the probe below 250' . The people who I have talked with that own the cannon probe tell me that its signal fades after 125 FOW with or with out the coated cable.

This is just my opinion and due to the fact thatr Cannon just sold their company who knows what would happen.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...