trolling speed

I usually troll between 2 and 2.5 on my graph which is around 2.8 to 3.2 on my GPS. Depending on the current and winds adjustments are made. I don't have the speed at the bait so I depend on how my dipsy's are pulling. When a fish gets on I always note the direction and speed to form a pattern for that day.

Have a great day on the water!!!

Larry Kramp (Salmon Slammer)

I start setting up lines a little fast 2.6-2.8 knots or faster. It helps get the lines in faster and usually eliminates tangling lines. Once we are set up we slow down to 1.8-2.2 knots and make S turns to figure out current direction by watching the downrigger cables. Once we know which way we are pulling through the current we make larger circles to pinpoint what speed the fish want to hit at for that day. If the fish hits on the inside we need to stay slower and outside we need to run fast. We then look at the direction we are heading when the fish hits and travel in that direction at the speed the fish let us know what they want. If we are not getting more action after we covered a good distance we start the turn again. We run big boards with pumphandles and this method for us lets us dial the fish in very quickly.

the probe is one of the best tools you could ever purchase. i wouldn't want to fish without it. the currents are very deceiving in lake mich & i've seen 3.0 or better on the gps & the probe tells me 1.4 at the ball. knowing the temp & speed at the lure's level is really a big help for us.

I start with the boat at about 3 GPS and then adjust to between 1.8 and 2.5 at the probe depending on what lures I am pulling. J plugs and some spoons seem to like 1.8 to 2.2 for me depending on flasher fly I like 2.0 to 2.5. I like to pull stuff along side the boat to see how it looks in the water if it don't kinda look like a fish swimming it probably won't catch fish. Oh yea and when my probe hit the bottom 2 weeks ago I darn near cried and you may have heard me swearing in Holland. Getting the probe has probably doubled or tripled my catch ratio no more driving around wondering why I ain't catching fish. Once you get to monitor speed and temp in the zone you are fishing you will never go back.

Tight Lines

Jim