mag dipsy vs #1

Has anyone noticed a difference fishing mags over #1's? I have noticed that every once in awhile I do get a tangle when running #1's on a 2.5-3. I realize that the mags will run closer to my riggers but they don't seem to tangle. I assume the #1's can get pushed by a cross current since there profile is more vertical. Anyone have any experience with this? More importantly has anyone noticed a difference in hook up rate between the mags and the #1s

I've been using the Walker mags on my wire dive and, i really like them. On my high diver I got some mag rings for the standard dippseys and I have had no tangles since. The hook up percentage has gone way up since switching over to th siggs flys with there owner hooks.

So far, knock on wood, i havent had a problem with either. If i have, its been operator error when letting it out. Your supposed to set them out slow, but when the fish are poppin you wanna get that bad boy out NOW! Overzelousness i guess.:lol:

Different tools in my opinion. Deeper faster with the Mags and obviously the opposite with a #1. Sometimes a stealthier longer run is better, sometimes, especially when structure fishing the mag is better to get better "spread control". 99% of the time I run my #1s and haven't had many tangle problems. The long outside on a 3.5# always seems to take the biggest steelies of the year and occassionally is the hottest King rod way out away from the boat. This spring outsides at 265 were smokin'!

Yeah there is a good chance of operator error. I've been trying to set them from the front of the boat and I think they are hooking the downrigger line right away. I think from now on i'll set them in the back corner over the downrigger boom. That should get them clear on their descent. Thanks.

The last few times out we have been loosing up the drag to let the dipsey out instead to free spooling with the clicker on. That way the dipsey is pulling on the rod and tracking away from the boat. It takes a little longer but I haven't had any really good tangles lately. Opps! Maybe I should not have said that??

The last few times out we have been loosing up the drag to let the dipsey out instead to free spooling with the clicker on. That way the dipsey is pulling on the rod and tracking away from the boat. It takes a little longer but I haven't had any really good tangles lately. Opps! Maybe I should not have said that??

I have had very good results doing it like this. Like Tom says , it takes a bit longer but, they pull to the side as going out.

The only time I have ever had dipsey problems is when running them at 3 or above and when someone freespools them out. I prefer to start them out first and let them pull against drag all the way. I have had fish hit them on the way out I only run my magnums on my wire rods and if you freespool one out you better know how to swim or be prepared to stop at the bait shop on the way home. I set the high diver on 2.5 and let it go against the drag go to othe side and do the same back over and set the wire diver on 1.5 and let it go against the drag set othe wire rod on othe side the same way. Then drop the outside riggers up with SWR and send them down and set rear riggers by now your divers should be close to running depth lock em down and get the core ready to go out set half core on each side one with a dive bomb if you want then put out the full cores and add a dive bomb to one if you want send out the copper and you have 14 rods and are about 300 wide and have every depth you want covered drive smooth and catch fish.

Tight Lines

Jim

That's the way I let them out. Dan Keating mentions it in his book and claims that he'll occasionaly pick up an extra fish or two by "fishing" it like this on the way down. I've had that happen twice. It's a nice way to figure out target depth when you get a hit right away. :)

I've been letting them out off of a loose drag consistently without tangles. I've even had a couple of hits on the way out! I also like the suggestion of letting them out over the back of the boat and swinging them over the top of the downrigger line. I've been holding them way out from the side of the boat until I get the dipsey in the water to start tracking. I also agree with StormWarning II about the Mags vs #1's being different tools to better control your spread.

• 2 weeks later...
I also loosen the drag to let my dipseys out but i have wondered if this was hard on my reels doing this,any thoughts?

It does wear on the drag, but allows you to multitask.:) If I'm resetting a Dipsy, and nothing else is going on, I'll let it out with the lever back, and thumb the spool, to keep tension on the rod and save the drag. It's kind of like the brakes on a car, they will wear if you use them.:)