Wire vs. Dipsey

I am a little confused regarding the use of copper and lead line for Salmon fishing. As near as I can determine, a series of different size dipsy divers would accomplish as much without the expense of additional reels, wire etc.

Can you explain?

Thanks

Tony

Edited by anthonyyost
misspelling

You're targeting different sections of the water column with the different applications. One of the advantages of leadcore and copper is that you can use planer boards to get them away from the boat. You are also running very long leads that get your lure far behind the boat. Not too mention the snake like effect the water has on the leadcore sheathing. Copper is heavier and has a faster sink rate, though it is harder to work with. Wire is used primarily to run dipsey's down deep. They will go a lot further down than mono divers because of the zero stretch and the thinner diameter. Plus the weight of the wire. Braid dipseys will go deeper than mono due to less stretch and much thinner diameter. A normal setup on a larger boat worker from the back to the front would be riggers deep, then wire divers slightly above and behind the riggers, then braid divers slightly above and behind the wire and then lead core up higher, farther to the side and way behind the other lures using in line planer boards. Hope this helps.

Right on Pauly. Nailed it to a "T" IMO.;)

The added cost of more rods and reels for core is well worth it IMO. Infact, im gonna add another 3 and 5 because theyve been so good. Now this is coming from a guy who's favorite rods and usually the hottest rods in the boat are dipseys.

The reason i say this is because my last trip to Ludington the fishing was pretty mediocure. We took a total of 3 fish in about 2 1/2 days of fishing on dipseys and slide divers, about 6 on riggers and at least 15 on the lead core. Without it we woulda came home with allot less fish.

This is just one example of where the core has bailed us out. Plus, as Pauly has stated, even on the days when other stuff is going, it will help add fish to your box because it allows you to spread things out and present even more baits throughout the water column. Its a great tool to have at your disposal. Id get a couple and try em out. I think others will agree, the results will speak for themselves.

Paulywood says it perfectly.

If or when you use Lead/Copper put it on a Church board and get it off to the side. It likes to tangle with the rigger fish if it's run down the pike. They really excel when the fish are shallow in the water column (down 25-45')

I like the explanations and I agree..... However I have not had much success with the lead core. I've run a full core and a 7 color...not one bite (Good chance it's just me though ;) I still believe they'll turn on for me some day. I think they are a great tool to add to an arsenal once you've got your basic spread covered (downriggers, stackers, dipsies, etc.)

However I have not had much success with the lead core. I've run a full core and a 7 color...not one bite

I switched my leader line to flourocarbon and it helped my core bite considerably. The cores are my best producers.