Manistee

The wife and I are planning a trip up the weekend of 19th of Sept. Will be staying at insta-launch.

Have not been there in a few years. Can some of you that are familar with the area kind of give me a idea of where to start. Was just wondering if the king's will still be out on the big pond or manistee lake. Any help will would be great.

Clair

plenty of kings in the big lake based on reports. Hope the water is up could not get my boat in and out there this spring water was too low. I like insta launch but had to stay in the channel due to low water level in the river. That was in May of this year my boat draws 36 in. At least low water level gives better bridge clearance.

Tight Lines

Jim

I fished Manistee last weekend. The water had been very cold in close to shore. Some were fishing as if they were fishing for browns in the spring. Most of the big fish came from the 40 to 60 fow. On Monday the wind blew from the south and warmed the water and pushed the fish out to the shelf. I would start streight out on the shelf at 100 to 110 fow. Stay in the 15s 16s 17s. There are no nets in that area. There are nets to the south. Here is a link that will tell you where the nets are. http://www.michigansportsman.com/Net_Locations.htm If you know how to fish them they can be productive.

I will be back up there on Labor Day weekend for four days of slamon salmon.

Have fun, Hope this helps.

Tom Torrice

We're going to be up in Manistee the weekend of Sept 7th for a long weekend, but we're staying and slipped at Riverside Motel, so I won't be down that far to give you a water depth report. I will however let you know how we do when we get back. We go north every year, normally to Onekema but we ran into a lodgeing problem in Onekema this year... So we're in Manistee. Looking forward to a long weekend and lots of fishing!

I just came back from Manistee Sunday night; and water was cold on surface and quite a ways down in 100FOW. Go to Capr John's web site "www.michigan-sportsman.com" and read today's report; the water temp off the shelf has warmed up and thermoclines are forming like they are supposed to.

We went 10 for 13 all in 100FOW, except 1 king on Thursday night in harbor patrol.

Best bait was magnum Mooshine Happy Meal on 30lb, 300' copper line (took 4 fish); same lure on rigger. Caught 1 on dipsey 150' out with Spin Doctor Blue Holagram/glow w/blue bubble fly; one on green/silver spoon on rigger; ojne on green/black ladder back J-pplug on dipsey 150' back; one on magnum Moonshine Blue Flounder on copper.

go gettem.

That's what I am thinking. My boat is 24ft. And I hear the water is pretty slim right now up around Insta-Launch.

Clair

csootsman

We have camped at Insta Launch the last few years over Labor Day and it is allways the same, REAL SKINNY water where the river goes into the lake. Manistee Lake is no trouble, it's just getting to it. Do your self a favor and either slip your boat in the channel closer to the big lake or trailer it to the City Launch.