Downrigger ?

Hey guys, i have Walker downriggers. This weekend as i was raising the ball up the rigger suddenly freespooled. I quickly put my hand on the spool to brake the decent and clicked the switch off. I checked the spool nut and it was tight, so that wasnt the problem. Began raising it again and freespooled again, but this time the shaft came out of the drive gear/brearing. Just as i grabbed the spool and shaft assembly the counter spring popped off and into the lake...No biggy there, but i was wondering about the shaft. Are those just pressed into the drive gear/bearing? The reason i say that, is because i took apart one of my other riggers and the best i can tell, theyre just pressed in.

So, after inspecting the shaft i didnt see any damage, but noticed the shaft looked to be tapered. So, I measured the groved end of the shaft with my calipers where it would go into the bearing and its definitely tapered. After further inspection and cleaning the grease off i noticed theres a red, im assuming permanent lok-tite or other adhesived, inside the small grooves in the bearing and on the grooves of the shaft where the two would fit together. So, I cleaned everything with degreaser, let it dry, cleaned it with some lacquer thinner and let that evaporate. I then sprayed some Lok-tite primer on the shaft and the hole in the center of the bearing. I let it dry the recommended 3-5 minutes, then put my red lok-tite on, pushed the shaft on as far as i could manually, then seated the shaft fully with my soft tipped hammer, so as not to damage the threaded end. It seems solid as a rock. I repacked the bearing, bearing housing and lightly greased the bushing where the shaft goes through the bushing in the housing and put everything back together. I hooked it up with a 10# ball here at the house and lifted it up and down several times. Its smooth as can be, no wobble or noise...nothing...all seems well.

So, i was wondering if anyone had any insight on how it goes together for sure, as i couldnt find a schematic? I tried the Alegan service center, but Neil's on vacation.

Thanks...Adam

I had the same exact thing happen a few years back on a walker, Poor design in my opinion.

I bought a new shaft to replace the old one.

The old one I had a keyway macined in and put it back together, now I have a spare if this should ever happen again.

Thank you sir, appreciate it. I always thought they made a good rigger, but this is definitely something that should be changed IMO. Seriously, how much trouble would it be to machine a hole for a role pin to secure the shaft?...Pretty simple id say.

Thanks again.