small spread

understanding how limited the space behind the boat is this time of year.what do you guys like to run for a spread when youre in tight with so many boats?i know some guys like to run double core with planers 100ft to the side of theyre boat then start screaming for room.

Great question. This is my first experience fishing in the busy season too, so I am interested in reading the responses. I figured everything on riggers or on planers close to the boat. Leads probably need to be short as well, but I am just guessing.

Clyde

Personally I always stay short in combat mode 10 to 30ft behind the balls depending on lure. 2 colors with snap weights or dive bombs and stay closer to the boat if you have some room. I run lots of dipsey's I run mag dipsey's on wire set on 1.5 Standard dipsey's on 2.5 on braid. I always used to keep a bag of 8oz sinkers close to throw at those who run my lines over I can't throw them very far so if you are in range you are too damn close. As long as everyone runs north south out front there is no real problem it is just the dummies who want to run diagnally thru the pack as they know they are the only one who matters. And lets not forget the guys who get in the middle of the pack and troll in circles I actually enjoy running their gear over will miss my bow mounted electric anchor made clearing out lines a lot easier.

Tight Lines

Jim

I agree Jay I have a short temper at times and very little tolerance of stupidity. So if at all possible I drive on thru and look for fish elsewhere last year we were killing them in 80ft while the pack was fighting each other in the mouth we were alone and having a blast. I also often target Steelhead late in the season unless I need eggs. Can't tell you how many times we were filling the box while they were cussing and fighting for a fish or 2 up front.

Tight Lines

Jim

It's been a while since I 've done any of the combat fishing. Last time was out of Manistee last year. There is definitely a pattern to the madness, just fall in line with everyone and don't be a jerk. Short off the balls, dipsy's, and that's about it. Short core off boards close to the boat can amount to problems as well. Fishing in front of the harbor like that can produce great action, but it is definitely a pain for the driver, you must be aware at all times of what is around you. The worst thing is once you have everything deployed you can really get pinched with nowhere to go, and in this instance it is just the nature of the beast fishing with that many other boats around. For less headaches keep it short and tight to the boat, make sure you have heavy line that way when you get hung up with another boat you will not loose your gear.

Yup, I skip it and go find silver fish off shore. Combat fishing goes against the reasons I like to go fishing. I can get stressed out just fine Monday - Friday in my normal day than to make a decision to fish in it on Saturday morning. There is always fish offshore someplace.