Safety ?

I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for your help. I am a single mother who loves to fish. I have 2 children, 4 and 6 that I desperately want to take out on the boat...but I have heard horrible stories and am afraid that it is not safe for them. If they fall in and I don't realize it, I would never be able to find them. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the site. I have two small boys of my own, 7 and 4. When they are on the deck, I am watching them like a hawk. If you ask them, they would tell you I have eyes in the back of my head! A boat is not a place for kids to wander around aimlessly.

Everyone is welcome on the site, except for people who only post to advertise a product. Your post sounds just like the person who was looking for a life jacket for their dog incase they inadvertently fell overboard. Are you the same person? Our advertising rates are located here.

Are you truely looking for information, or are you going to slip in a plug for a product(life jacket) and ask us if anyone has tried it?

If you are truely looking for information and are not going to slip in a plug for a product(life jacket), then I will apoligize for my actions now. If you are only making a post to promote a product, please move on to another site.

Mike

Suggestions:

- Make them wear a life jaket

- Don't go boating in rough water

- Stick to inland lakes untill you feel they won't fall out of the boat

If they fall in and I don't realize it, I would never be able to find them. Any suggestions?

- Don't drink and boat

It would probably be a good idea for me to have someone else on board, too. I know you're supposed to keep your eyes on them all the time, but when driving it would be hard. I have also heard about inflatable life jackets, but I are they safer than regular life jackets? And no I am not an advertiser, just a paranoid overprotective mother : ) And I would hope no one would drink and drive a boat, especially with children on board!

just a paranoid overprotective mother : )

Why would someone put an inflatable life jacket on a 4 or 6 year old? There is a reason why Stearns and other life jacket manufacuters do not make inflatable life jackets for children.

How do you know it will inflate? How would you feel if you "took a chance", and your child fell overboard and the jacket did not inflate? Sorry....my sons are not replaceable, and I would not "take a chance" with an inflatable life jacket for them.

I am with GLF get good namebrand standard PFD's.

What type of boat do you own? Many times it takes 2 adults to handle launching or docking a boat especially in windy conditions. I would also reccomend taking some boater saftey classes. These classes can teach you all you need to know for safe boating and equipment. I believe most classes are free and can give you all the information you'll need to feel safe boating. I am not sure who offers classes around your area, but if you look up the Coast Guard or the United States Power Squadron(www.usps.org) you can find a class near you.

Girl fisher welcome aboard.

Just want to give you some advice without trying to make you feel like everyone is picking on you as that is nobodys intent on this site. Glf Mentioned that his kids are not replacable and Im with him and to go one step further for that matter no human life is replacable.

As far as safety it is a great topic. I work with a young lady that just recenty purchased a boat and I started asking her these types of questions that deal with saftey and she did not have clue, being that she had never captained a boat. And I say that NOT being a captain however I do own boats and when myself and others are on my boats it is my resposiblity for 100% fo there well being as well as mine. anyway as I asked this person questions I suggested boating safety, as the law reads that if you were not born before, I believe 1978 you MUST have a boaters safte as well as PWC saftey to run a watercraft. There is an online class with a cost of $15 dollers that is a link of www.michigan.gov/dnr that has the online class. It was a weekend so I went threw it with her as I took boaters saftey back in 1977. And it was quite an eye opener as alot has changed since that course as PWC throw a hole new line of laws into the mix. (Personal Water Craft) pwc for those who dont know. After you take the class you still have to take Michigan boaters safety however I belive you have to have this certificate to take the class.

this is the best advice I can give you at this time without going into great detail about all the do's and donts. one thing for sure Dont use inflatble life preservers on kids, the class with tell you what ages have to wear what type of preserver as there are many and always take two throwable floatation devices with you as if they fall you can thow somthing that quick that they can atleast grab. However I make my kids were vest when ever the boat is under power as this is when a person is at the most risk of falling out and gettin hurt. Dont let your fear turn you away from fishing. but let it raise your level of respect for the water and it will make you a better captain.

Well GF123, as a new user I am going to reply because of what happened in our family last week. (No, it is NOT bad news, but I am now the grumpy uncle!)

One niece decided that her 2 year old put up too much of a fuss, and so she allowed her child to go without. When the other kids saw that, it turned from a fun fishing experience to a whine-a-thon.

If a kid can sit in a car-seat, they can darn well wear the life jackets - besides, it makes them look kinda cute.

And besides, that IS the law!

So, we went back to shore, and dropped them off safely. This is one rule I will not bend.

As far as 'falling in without realizing' it, you need to realize that if the munchkins are on board they come before fish, comfort, potty breaks, everything. I have fished babies out of the water, and there is nothing like the look of horror on Mom and Dad's face when they realize the kid has been adrift!

I applaud you for taking the kids out. It can and will change their life!

Welcome GirlFisher. Silver One is right on track and has a ton of good advice. The boaters safety class is a must. If you have a boat, you may want to contact your local Coast Guard Station and ask if they would give you an inspection. You will learn the laws and pick up some good tips. Violations found on the water may result in a ticket. Be proactive and ask Law Enforcement for guidance and help, they are a great resource.

For better or for worse, the Decemeber 31 1978 Date only applied to PWC's (ie Jet Ski's) and once your 16 in Michigan you can operate any boat on water (not commercial of course).

I fish quite a bit with kids, my boat has pretty high sides and it would take some work for a kid to 'fall out' assuming they aren't climing on the gunwales. However I don't take kids out without someone else on the boat to help me watch them. Michigan law requires all children under 6 years of age to wear a USCG—approved Type I or II PFD when riding on the open deck of any vessel. Someone once told me that they teether their kids to the boat, but I don't like that idea either because if the boat goes down so do they.

I think the most important thing is makeing the kids understand that it can be dangerous out there on the water. Sometimes I've been known to perhaps stress this a little to much. I had one little guy one time who didn't dare leave his seat for a while. But hey, when he did he wasn't screwing around on deck thats for sure, now he loves to come out with me. Boaters sfatey is a good idea for anyone who is just getting into it. Like mentioned before, when I have people on my boat as Captian (and no I'm not liscensed but you are when you are operating the boat) I take 100% responsibility for everything that happens on board, and I certinally don't one to tell one of my friends what happened to his or her son or daughter while they were out fishing with me. I keep that in the back of my mind and everything has always gone real well.

• 2 weeks later...
I signed up for a safety class in my area. I am also looking into man overboarrd devices...there are a couple that stand out, autotether and turtle marine. I have heard more about turtle marine but they are more expensive than autotether.

I knew a plug was coming for something. I removed your live link.

I also remember about your previous post on the site that was removed. My mistake was thinking it was for a dog life jacket, when actually it was the autotether for your dog.

It's to bad that the whole thread was a setup, because there is a lot of good info shared in here...
I guess some good can come from almost anything.:)

Yes but it seems to me that all the good info came from our sharing membership and not the author of the original post. We share, because we care, and not to financially use our friends here.

Yes but it seems to me that all the good info came from our sharing membership and not the author of the original post. We share, because we care, and not to financially use our friends here.

You are right on there. I didn't say where the good was coming from. It was definitely from the sharing posts of our caring members.:) No matter who started the thread, or what their intentions were, some good came out of it.:) In no way was I implying that the threads initiator was the source of this good will.:)

thx guys.....as usual great readin!!! i try to get the kids on board as much as possible and seems like a long time now i dont even have to tell them to "Amor-up" and one of the good things ive noticed is that when one of the lil-fish-catchers decides to chum the lake, someone soon will be yelling "Fish On"!!!!!