wire diver connections

Tie it. No worries about a crimp slipping, cutting or kinking your wire. Its easy and works great.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

This is the method I've been using and, It's failed on me twice this year.

I retie it after every trip and it failed on a big king last weekend. I'm going to try the crimp/sleeve method. Every time it fails it's good buy Flasher/fly/mag dippsey/snubber/bb swivel/fish.

This is the method I've been using and, It's failed on me twice this year.

I retie it after every trip and it failed on a big king last weekend. I'm going to try the crimp/sleeve method. Every time it fails it's good buy Flasher/fly/mag dippsey/snubber/bb swivel/fish.

WOW, that shocks the heck outta me.:eek: NEVER had this fail EVER....weird

I crimp all of my wire but you have to make sure you use the right crimp for the wire and get a good crimp or it will fail. Being that i am somewhat anal about doing things corectly and using the right tool for the job i allways match the crimp to the wire and the crimper. Also i am going to put thimbles on mine next time as i don't care what anyone says no wire likes to be bent or tied.

Does the ss wire line get week as it ages?

I know the more you use it with rotators the more it wants to coil up, even with BB swivels. Next thing you know your line gets kinda "coily". I think the twisting may weaken the line. The reason i say that is because my buddy Tim broke two baits off the same wire rod last weekend fighting fish. But he also said that wire had been on there for at least 4 years and needed to be replaced. So, i gotta feeling it was getting weak from all the use because he didnt have any trouble with his other rods that were respooled this season. Other than that, i honestly dont know. Ive never had a problem breaking wire on our boat, other than if i kinked it or something, but never while fighting a fish....Maybe someone else can shed some light on aging wire?

I use a 2 inch piece of medical tubing and two beads to either side on mine. I don't know if it helps or not. I haven't had any twist or kinks in the line and haven't retied.

Im not sure what you are saying you are doing with tube and beads on this one ?

It acts like a shock absorber when the real is not in use. I'm able to keep good tension on the line when it's in storage. I don't like to fasten the swivel to any part of the reel or rod. I believe it can cause a bend in the line or allow for a kink to occur. The beads are to keep the swivel from going threw the roller guide. When there is no tension on the line, that is when you will get the curling at the end. The curling is what can lead to a weakness in the line. This is just another one of my unproven theories.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just tie the knot, what I did to cut down on the curlies is cut the ends off a Luhr Jenson snubber and put that on above the tie. It also keeps the tag end of the wire under control. Then I can crank it down hard and that snubber acts as a shock so I can keep the wire line tight on the pole.

• 7 months later...
Tie it. No worries about a crimp slipping, cutting or kinking your wire. Its easy and works great.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Adam Bomb; I am confused by this knot. I have attempted it several times and cannot get the knot to seat properly. I think step 2 is not clear to me. I am assuming this is like a palmer knot. Any help would be appreciated. I am setting up two wire lines this year so I am new to wire. Thanks Tom.

Just make a simple loop in your wire line. Youll have the tag end and the mainline between your thumb and forefinger. A loop should extend out one end and the tag end and mainline out the other. Now, simply insert the loop into the eye of the swivel. Once passed through the eye of the swivel, pass the entire swivel through the wire loop and cinch the wire down to the swivel eye. This is a half hitch.

At this point if you held the main line in one hand and applied pressure to the swivel the wire would slip through the swivel eye and it would disconnect from the wire line. Thats why you need to tie an overhand knot in the next step to secure the half hitch.

After youve half hitched the swivel onto the wire line you should have the tag end and mainline together and the swivel hanging below. Now, think of the tag end, the mainline and the swivel as being a single strand of rope and your going to tie an overhand knot in it. Simply take the tag end and mainline together and from a loop. Next pass the swivel through the back side of the loop and cinch it down making a simple overhand knot. This should result in an overhand knot above the swivel. Trim the excess tag end above the knot and your finished.

Hopefully i didnt confuse you even more.:lol: Check the link again and i think itll come together for ya. If not ill shoot a little video for you.

This has been a very strong connection for me and i havent had any issues with it. I love not having to have crimping tools and crimps on board to make a connection. A good pair of side cutters on quality needlenose will do the work and is probably something you already have on board.

Nailer,

Let us all know how that 19 strand works out. I read about that on another site and am curious about how it performs. Supposed to be much more flexable/kink resistant than the 7 strand.

Edited by Adam Bomb
Added some stuff