Muskegon 7/30 PM and 7/31 AM

After hearing all of the great reports out of Muskegon the last few days I had to go over and join in the fun. Mike, Redeagle, chauffered me around for 2 days of great fishing.

We went over wednesday afternoon and set up in 50' around 6:30. Shortly after 9 we had our 6 king limit and were headed in. All of our fish came in 55'-65' 3-4 miles north of the piers. We caught fish on an 8 color core with a green scaly back J-plug, a half core with a Magic Man spoon, a half core with a Moonshine Shelley Snack, a rigger 40' down with a Blue Bubble SD/Blue Bubble Fly and our big producer for both days was the Dreamweaver Glow Purple Frog on an SWR. We ran this about 10' off the bottom and consistently took fish. We missed 2 fish on a wire dipsey out 75', once with Double Crush Glow SD/Green Glow Fly and once with an 11" Pro-Chip Double Fish Scale Pearl w/ a Blue/Green Glow Sigg's Rig's fly. The dipsey didn't release on either fish. I'm still confused by this since it is the same dipsey setup I have been using all year with no issues. I loosened it up after losing the second fish. We also lost a fish on the SWR, it was part of a double we had on the riggers when we first set lines. Our biggest fish came on the Shelley Snack. This fish hit shortly before 9. I fought this fish while Mike cleared lines. I still hadn't gained ground by the time he had the other 5 rods in so we chased it and boxed a nice 16 lb. 8 oz. male. I just couldn't gain ground on it while fighting, it just stuck to the bottom. We weighed all of our fish when we got in and ended up with 64 lbs. of kings, what a fun night.

Thursday morning we slept in a little and found out that the fish had moved out deeper. We had to work harder but still managed to box 6 fish, 5 kings and a steelie. We set lines just south of the harbor in 30' at 6:30 and took 2 fish on the SWR in 80'. After that things slowed down and we worked our way out to 120'-130' where we heard the temp break was 55' down. We slowly started picking up fish working north to the nets. A wonderbread J-plug on a 8 color core took a fish, a Glow Screwball on a fullcore took a fish, a double orange crush as a free slider set over a rigger 50' down took the steelie,and the SWR setup down 65' took our last fish. We missed a fish early on a braid dipsey out 125' with a Dreamweaver Evil Eye and also missed another fish on the wire dipsey with the Pro-Chip/Blue Green Glow out 175'. The dipsey didn't release again. We pulled lines at 11:30 and weighed all of our fish again. The biggest ended up being 14 lbs. 4 ozs. and we had 50 lbs. total. It was a great 2 day trip. Thanks Mike for taking me and thanks for the reports this week. When we setup in shallow wednesday night we heard a lot of people with no fish who were out in 150-200'. We stayed in tight and hammered fish. I snapped a couple of pics and will post them tomorrow.